PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Ubuntu Progression

mxboy15u
April 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
After having successfully switched to 9.04 on all my computers I have done some reading into the goals of 9.10 and found them to be strangely counter-productive. Ubuntu is suffering because the hardware and software support is not 100%. A quick once over of the forums shows wireless internet to be one of the largest complaints followed with suspend and hibernate issues. In the meantime 9.10 is going to focus even more on turning on and off. I think this OS is missing the point here, people do not turn off their computers or care at all about them turning on. They put them to sleep and shake the mouse to wake them up. The focus needs to be on rock solid internet out of the box followed by seamless sleep/wake cycles.

Comments?

DeadSuperHero
April 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
While I think you raise a valid point, I think you misunderstand how Ubuntu releases work.

Wireless support all resides in drivers and tweaks. I do believe we have an active wireless driver development team who work with the FOSS community in general to provide proper firmware to these drivers.

As for hibernation, startup, and shutdown: that's actually incredibly important for laptops.

Npl
April 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
..I think this OS is missing the point here, people do not turn off their computers or care at all about them turning on. They put them to sleep and shake the mouse to wake them up...Speak for yourself. I know alot of people who shutdown their PC when they dont use them, myself included.

I dunno what he heck they need to focus on turning on/off tough, whats the point? Making it faster? More pretty?

ELD
April 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I am one of the "few" people who actually turns their pc off nowadays when they go out then?

I agree about the boot time stuff though, time could be spent on other things, it already booted at a reasonable speed, although with Jaunty it is very fast now.

ntowakbh
April 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I shutdown my desktop when I go to school. Currently, my laptop only supports suspend, not hibernate. On my laptop in particular, I need speedy boot times, because of how often a day that I have to shutdown, and boot up.

inxygnuu
April 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I almost completely agree, I recently installed Sabayon Linux, and was shocked because everything instantly worked! I was amazed!:D:o:KS But, that doesn't mean that startup and shutdown aren't important.

U-Bom-2
April 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Wireless support all resides in drivers and tweaks. I do believe we have an active wireless driver development team who work with the FOSS community in general to provide proper firmware to these drivers.

As for hibernation, startup, and shutdown: that's actually incredibly important for laptops.

I agreed 200% with you. I see how hard they are working to release a good OS. My 7.10 and 8.04 Ubuntus was not working the wirless and visual effects, now it perfectly work like a charm.

The startup and shutdown is not important? then if you can startup you computer how you are going to use it? ;)

CharmyBee
April 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I am one of the "few" people who actually turns their pc off nowadays when they go out then?

It's in a minority sadly. I know I turn off my computer when I go to sleep daily too, but even doing that is too extreme for most people. It's understandable when it's a server, but if you think garnering high uptime means more than the dollar figures on the electricity bill, you're wacked.

Pasdar
April 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
You do realize that your PC is still using power when its hibernation or sleep right? I never put my PC in either. My laptop I do put in hibernation sometimes. Sleep and hibernation are very important things on laptops for most people. I also agree that Ubuntu needs to make hardware top priority and needs to spend less time on their "fast boot" and "better desktop design" etc... let's get this thing functioning on everyone's pc/laptop first before other things.

Rokurosv
April 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
A friend asked me what was the point of faster boot times? And I told him, laptops and netbooks. Some people leave their laptops and desktops always on, but what about the people that travel or turn theirs frecuently? When you need to turn your laptop real quick or need to browse around the web for a couple of mins faster boot times are very good. I think Ubuntu should focus more on interoperability with Windows applications and files, but I like where it's going.

ssam
April 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
i have heard people be impressed with how fast ubuntu shuts down compared to windows xp. so even if its not the most useful feature it gives a good impression.

personally i turn computers on and off fairly often, so i appreciate it.