PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Good Video Card for the Money

Gen2ly
April 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm interested in getting a new video card for my pc. Currently i'm using a nvideo geforce 7050 which is pretty good for a built-in card but i'd like to get something better. some games i play are only going at 10fps so iwas wondering if i could do a decent upgrade on a budget. I've only got around $70 so first i'm thinking is that, is this possible? Second if it is, what should i be looking for: built-in memory, core speed...

I've been looking at newegg's deals:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=SubCatDeals&SubCategory=48&StoreType=2&N=2010380048

and it looks like PCI express is the way to go now. I'd like to get an Nvidia card because I've had so good of an experience with Nvidia on Linux, but have seen some good things on ATI too. Any thoughts?

hotweiss
April 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Here you go:

http://www.cesell.com/product.php?productid=171618

I think the above is a killer deal.

sideaway
April 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM
9800GT/8800GT for $62 is a really nice deal. I'd go with that.

DJonsson2008
April 19th, 2009, 08:33 AM
The distro you are running may be a consideration with the newer cards,
as well whether or not you are willing to do a re-install in order to
get the card to work with Ubuntu. As I understand it nvidia series 7
is a sweet spot in terms of compatibility, type in the numbers for
later cards in this forum to see what battles may lay ahead in getting
later cards to work.

Gen2ly
April 19th, 2009, 04:04 PM
@hotweiss - Dam thats a nice price. Out of stock though. 8(

Did someresearch and learned that for Nvidia cards the version for example 8900 will tell the feature of the card while the GS/GT/GTS will tell the clock speed. so if I'm able to get a GT for the 8/9 series that's definitely what i'm looking for, or possibly a GTS for the 7000. Been looking at ebay but haven't found any new cards yet and don't think i'd trust buying a card that's been possibly overclocked.

sideaway
April 19th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Don't buy 7000 series from nVidia, they'll most likely under perform, not have near the features of the new cards and be over priced. 4000 series from ATi or 9000/200 series from nVidia. Oh and 9800 GTX+ = GTS 250... The only real difference (apart from decreased power usage) is the stock coolers. The GTS' stock cooler = 98GTX, the 98GTX+ had its own special one. Don't be sucked into nVidia's screwed up marketing ploy that is its naming system... really they should be only just be starting on the 9000 series... the 9800GX2 should've been the 8800GX2 etc... they're all G92's.
Oh and;
9(8)800GT > 7*00 G**... except maybe the 7950 GX2.

That being said... a budget of $70. what are 4670's at? Plus ATi are red, everyone knows that red makes it go faster. ;)

ATi's is easy to understand
4650 < 4670 < 4850 < 4870.

Personally (currently) I prefer ATi cards (dunno why, I've own equal amounts of both makes) I'm currently on a 4870 and it runs greeat in Ubuntu.

Any way, have fun video card shopping! Hope any of that helps. :)

Gen2ly
May 22nd, 2009, 03:13 AM
Dam, it did too. Went looking around, saved up more money, and got a pretty good video card! Isn't too bad either (i.e. beats the crap out of my built-in one). The 4670 was a good tip because it was right about my price range, i ended up going with the nvidia 9600 gso because it did a little better in gaming. Now I got great compositing, HD videos play nice, and I can run games like Crysis on medium settings.

Appreciate all the tips guys, helped alot. Wrote about updating a video card in my blog for any interested (link in sig).

Latez.