PDA

View Full Version : Single or double (clicking)

fabiola
April 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM
When navigating and/or selecting folders/files within the files system do you prefer single or double click

HavocXphere
April 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Doesn't matter that much tbh. I'll adapt either way.

If I have to choose, then double.

It's similar to the right/left click thing in strategy games. Some games choose left for a Move command some choose right. Worst case scenario is that it takes 5 sec of failed commands until one adapts.

OutOfReach
April 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Double clicking for me, KDE had single click as default and it was annoying.

Eisenwinter
April 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I don't click at all (I manage files with the terminal).

haemulon
April 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I definitely prefer the single click.

It's one of the few things I don't like about Xfce, there isn't any way to change it to single clicking on the desktop.

Ms_Angel_D
April 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM
In windows XP I preferred the feel of single clicking, but in vista it didn't have the same feeling. Now that I use Ubuntu I also prefer double clicking.

sekinto
April 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Single click definitely. Double clicking makes me feel like the computer is asking me "Are you sure you want to run/open this?" every time I click something.

Gizenshya
April 18th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Double click, for a couple reasons. (ohh, and I prefer it to define click as when the button is released, not when depressed).

One major reason is renaming files. In windows, anyway, if I click, pause just long enough to not make it a double click, and then click again, it opens up the renaming of the file. I LOVE this, and I miss it very much in ubuntu :(

ntowakbh
April 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Double click, especially on my laptop.

On my desktop, it is not as bad, but on my laptop, I commonly accidentally cause my touchpad to click either when typing, or when moving the mouse, when my hand accidentally skips. Single click would be a disaster for my laptop.

befana
April 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
ntowakbh, that's on your laptop. On my notebook the touchpad is not so susceptible, so a double click is a disaster for my hands.

happysmileman
April 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Single click, much easier, never saw the point of having to click twice on it.

I like the way KDE does it, single click to open/run a file/folder, but when you hover over one a "+" appears, so if you want to select it or add to selection you click the "+" in corner.
Realistically I just right-click to manipulate, and CTRL-Click if I need to select more than one, but other seem to find the arrows useful.

I can only see the point in double click on laptops, where I've often accidentally clicked on things when moving touchpad.

dtoronto
April 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Double for sure.

Barrucadu
April 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Double click, simply because I'm used to it and have never tried to move to single.

SomeGuyDude
April 18th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Double. There is absolutely nothing more annoying than trying to select multiple objects in a folder when single-click opens/launches.

sekinto
April 18th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Double. There is absolutely nothing more annoying than trying to select multiple objects in a folder when single-click opens/launches.

This makes me wonder if you have ever used Nautilus.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 18th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Double click, so I have the ability to click on a file to select/highlight it without actually opening/executing it. Plus the whole single click thing makes me feel like I'm using the Internet when navigating through my files. And I don't like that.

kdroxx
April 18th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Double for me . . years of using Windows !!

speedwell68
April 18th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Single click FTW.:D I have been using single click since Windows 95. Everything on the net is single click, so why should everything in the OS be duble click. I think it is the first thing I change on a fresh install.

red_Marvin
April 19th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Single click ftw!

So how do you manage it with double click? If you mean by pressing Shift or Ctrl depending on selecting mode, it is still the same, just that you have to Ctrl-click the first item too.