PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wrong Version Reported

Chris Riley
April 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hi,

When Hardy was first released, I upgraded. I had so many problems with it that I eventually decided to get rid of it and revert to Gutsy. I re-installed Gutsy from scratch, and in doing so completely screwed up my Windows HD and lost five years of data - my fault for not doing backups. Since then my computer has reported CD drives as 'C' and 'D', Windows installed on 'F', Windows File System on 'E', and Linux somewhere in between.

12 months down the line, having read that Gutsy would not be supported for much longer, I upgraded 7.10 to 8.04 on line through Update Manager. Every time the system asked if I wanted to keep the existing system file or load the new one (and thus lose all config info), I chose to keep existing files. When update completed, I found that I had lost all sound.

This time I read that I could simply remove the new kernel through Synaptic, and the original kernel would then run again.

Fine, I now have a Gutsy Gibbon system that runs again, but when I type 'lsb_release -a' in the terminal, I am told that I am running Hardy. Update Manager now only gives me the opportunity to upgrade to 8.10.

How do I now upgrade to 8.04, if Ubuntu believes that I'm already running it? You suggestions would be most welcome.

Chris

AMD 64 on ATI MB with onboard graphics, 2 x HD (1 *******, 1 Linux), 2 x CD ROM. Ubuntu Studio 7.10, Win XP

You Can't Always Get What You Want [-o<

nikgare
April 19th, 2009, 10:36 AM
From what you have written, you are running 8.04, just with an older kernel version.

Chris Riley
April 19th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks nikgare for your reply. I now understand (I think) that even though I am running the kernek that was 7.10, I am in fact running 8.04? Does this mean that I can update directly to 8.10? Excuse my apparent higorance, I not particularly Linux literate.

Chris

You can't always get what you want {-o<

nikgare
April 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM
It means it should work - but make sure you back up your data first!

Chris Riley
April 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Okay. I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days, in case I run into any problems with the update.

Thanks for the advice on backing up data!