PDA

View Full Version : Open source software dissertation - please help

mike_9000
April 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I am studying at the University College of St Mark & St John in Plymouth, England. The following survey (http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=Dg0p7VSnK7y_2buJiQmeMh2w_3d_3d) is an essential part of my final year dissertation.

There are only 10 questions (about attitudes towards Open Source Software) & would be extremely grateful to anyone who could take a few minutes to complete it

I do not ask for any information that would enable me to identify an individual,or use any other means to do this. The only 'personal' information I ask for is age, sex & nationality, & you are welcome to skip these questions.

All responses will be completely anonymous. You will receive no Spam nor any form of follow-up.

If you would like any further information, please email me here: matko@blueonder.co.uk

Finally, I would like to thank everyone who participates.

Rgds,
Mike

Bölvağur
April 18th, 2009, 06:00 PM
yes it will be extremely difficult to identify me for my age gender and location... not many grandmothers in iceland are part of the local linux group so I am guessing it might become an easy guess who I am.

mike_9000
April 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
If I could identify you, I would, seriously, delete all of the information that enabled me to do so.

Besides, the survey service I am using does not record all the answers in each form separately- it only shows the number of replies given to each individual question.

BTW, thanks to everyone for their contributions - it's going better than I had hoped, so far!

Josef_A
April 18th, 2009, 08:01 PM
It might help if you committed to releasing the results under an open license at such and such a time.

I think people are generally very open to helping out, albeit with a preference for ShareAlike terms.

MikeTheC
April 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
mike_9000:

Check your PM... :)

mike_9000
April 20th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Good point. I hereby commit myself to releasing the results of this survey, under an open license, by July the 1st 2009. I will post a link at that time.

namegame
April 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I took the survey. Good luck with your dissertation!

danni-la
April 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM
Done :) very interested to see the results too!

Best wishes for your dissertation!

Lunx
April 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Done, and I look forward to seeing the results.

I did find Q5 a bit strange in the sense that it refers only to OSS or Microsoft Windows, are we talking all software, or operating systems only? There is plenty of propriety software with restrictive conditions created by numerous companies other than MS, so perhaps it could have been worded better to include them also?

Anyhow, good luck with it all and all the best in your studies

toupeiro
April 21st, 2009, 08:05 AM
Good luck. I also look forward to reading the results!

fballem
April 21st, 2009, 08:13 AM
small typo in one of the survey questions, you used 'that' instead of 'than'. I'm sorry, I don't recall which question, since I answered the survey and can't go back in.

Good luck,