PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switch distro... keep documents

ZootHornRollo
April 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I have run into a bit of a problem.

I installed a new HD to use as a backup. I have since transfered all 150GB of my music collection onto it.

I then reformatted my primary 500GB HD. 15GB for /, 1.5GB for SWAP and the remainder for HOME.

I installed eAR OS distro and transfered my music back to HOME but have decided i don't really like eAR OS and reinstalled Ubuntu. Only when i reinstalled it, i reformatted the / & SWAP partitions and mounted the HOME partition without formatting.

Ubuntu has installed OK but has retained many of the menu configurations from eAR OS which means many options such as Synaptic are missing from the System menus (These are accessed through a mac-type interface like AWN in eAROS)

Can i revert to the default Ubuntu menus?

I could reinstall and format HOME but it means another hour of transfering my music across... again.

Ericyzfr1
April 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I have run into a bit of a problem.

I installed a new HD to use as a backup. I have since transfered all 150GB of my music collection onto it.

I then reformatted my primary 500GB HD. 15GB for /, 1.5GB for SWAP and the remainder for HOME.

I installed eAR OS distro and transfered my music back to HOME but have decided i don't really like eAR OS and reinstalled Ubuntu. Only when i reinstalled it, i reformatted the / & SWAP partitions and mounted the HOME partition without formatting.

Ubuntu has installed OK but has retained many of the menu configurations from eAR OS which means many options such as Synaptic are missing from the System menus (These are accessed through a mac-type interface like AWN in eAROS)

Can i revert to the default Ubuntu menus?

I could reinstall and format HOME but it means another hour of transfering my music across... again.

That is a Linux feature I also discovered, if you do not format the /home partition it will keep older files. So I format it when needed.

ZootHornRollo
April 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
not the answer i wanted but an answer all the same.

many thanks.

have started reinstalling again including formatting the HOME partition. I'm going out tonight so i'll just start the file transfer before i go.

cheers.