PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 Beta: My Impressions

wcfields
April 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I installed on a Acer Aspire 9410-2079 laptop I've had just over one year. I wanted to abandon Windows entirely, but my wife wants to see it, so I'll install XP in a partition I left aside just for that.
I'm happy enough with Intrepid Ibex. Update-manager doesn't run automatically. I'd vote to have that done by default. I had to install Asunder, because I couldn't figure out how to make Juicer automatically create .mp3 files. I'm going to keep working to slow down the touchpad/mouse, because the l'il bugger is simply too hyperactive, and highlights and tries to move continually without my wanting it to. Haunted, cheeky l'il beast!
I don't know if it's thanks to Ibex or Opera, but Opera 10 really pops! It's as fast as Epiphany! Gets tripped up on some sites which seem to be prejudiced in favor of Internet Explorer, but Firefox handles that all right.
I'm going to get a flash drive before this month is out. Is there a program which will back up my home folder, all links and essentials, so that if I formatted my drive and reinstalled Ubuntu, I could just restore from my flash drive, and have everything I did before? I'm talking data and document files, special wallpapers, nonstandard programs, etc.? My home folder, essential links, etc. I'd need this to be newbie friendly, not for and by rocket scientests. :popcorn: