PDA

View Full Version : Question about having more than 1 OS.

Newuser1111
April 18th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Should I put Vista and XP back on my Compaq laptop?(so it's Vista, XP, and Ubuntu)
Or should I just put XP into a VM(VirtualBox) in Ubuntu?
Or should I just not use this XP?

gn2
April 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Configure it how you want, it's yours to do with as best suits you.

Newuser1111
April 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Configure it how you want, it's yours to do with as best suits you.Can it play games in VirtualBox?

labinnsw
April 18th, 2009, 04:52 PM
My personal preference is to use Windows only as a virtual machine.
I use it once per year for tax returns. Tax returns is not handled well by Wine.

Greg
April 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Can it play games in VirtualBox?

Depends what games, and how much memory you give it.

I know VMWare at least supports DirectX now.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM

good luck with that. i would (and do) dual boot vista/!# and vm windows 7

Paqman
April 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Short answer: no

Long answer: no, unless they're really old games. VMs have onlu just started doing hardware acceleration, and it's still a bit flaky. So you won't be getting much out of your graphics card. Not to mention that you've effectively cut your processor and RAM in half.

If you want to play Windows games, install XP dual-boot.

CharmyBee
April 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM
VirtualBox is bad for games even old ones, there is a lot of timing and sync issues with input, sound and video. Even OpenGL games hurt. It's not a gaming alternative.

wolfen69
April 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Short answer: no

Long answer: no, unless they're really old games. VMs have onlu just started doing hardware acceleration, and it's still a bit flaky. So you won't be getting much out of your graphics card. Not to mention that you've effectively cut your processor and RAM in half.

If you want to play Windows games, install XP dual-boot.

if you have a killer rig, it will play older games no problem. but having said that, a dual boot is better.