PDA

View Full Version : Free or Open Source Software?

Gustav
January 5th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Which term do you prefer?

Gustav
January 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I prefer free software since it focus on the political side.

lolocaust
January 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I'd say I prefer the term open source instead of free, because free is often confused with freeware, and open source 99% of the time can be associated with "free-as-in-freedom" software.

This is also a better way to explain to newbies and non-technical users, becuase they may confuse the two meanigs of free. :)

truthfatal
January 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
what lolocaust said. :)

ow50
January 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Open source is not necessarily free.
Free is always open source.
FOSS is free and open source, whereas it's enough to say free.
The poll is incomprehensible.

jc87
January 5th, 2006, 05:49 PM
I prefer and usually use Foss , because i make a clear distinction between free software and open source (they are not the same ) , but also because is a good way to simultaneous say the both.

lunatech
January 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM
I'd say I prefer the term open source instead of free, because free is often confused with freeware, and open source 99% of the time can be associated with "free-as-in-freedom" software.

This is also a better way to explain to newbies and non-technical users, becuase they may confuse the two meanigs of free. :)

I consider this to be a bug in the english language itself :-)

At first glance, "Open Source" seems to have overcome this problem. However, this term too is open to being misinterpreted. Most people believe that "Open source" means that you have access to the source code. For example, Sun has made the source code Java available for download. Does it make it Open Source ? No, it does not. To be identified as Free or Open source, a software should grant its users the freedom to can read, redistribute, and modify the source code without any discrimination against persons or groups. The type of license that Sun provides is "look but don't touch".

My take on this http://rajshekhar.net/content/view/19/26/

earobinson
January 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
all the terms refferr to dif things

imagine
January 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

For the Open Source movement, the issue of whether software should be open source is a practical question, not an ethical one. As one person put it, "Open source is a development methodology; free software is a social movement.'' For the Open Source movement, non-free software is a suboptimal solution. For the Free Software movement, non-free software is a social problem and free software is the solution.

When you hear [opensource], do not think license. Think development methodology. Think of source code that is widely available. Source code that can be both viewed and changed by just about anyone who wants to bother.
[...]
When you hear [free software], don't think development methodology, or price, think liberty.

Opensource and free software can be exchanged in many cases though, many projects are both opensource and free. However the terms aren't exactly the same: Opensource refers more to a technical point of view, ie the source code was released for whatever reason, whereas free software has a social background, which is that source code, algorithms, ideas, knowledge should be available to everyone.

Eg Microsoft has some opensource projects, however none of them is free.

And Free Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) is more of a political term with no peculiar meaning. If you want to dismiss neither the opensource nor the free software movement or simply don't care about the difference, you include them both in one word and everybody (or nobody) is happy.

Pekkalainen
January 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
"Free software" and "Open source" is not the same thing. A program does not have to be free as in zero price to be open source.

Read more here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

I prefer free software.

Gustav
January 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM
"Free software" and "Open source" is not the same thing.
Even if the two term don't mean exactly the same thing most "Free software" is "Open source" and the other way around. So the question is which term do you normally use when speaking about Free and Open source software.

BWF89
January 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Open Source because most people would get Free Software confused with software that is free as in price but proprietary.

lunatech
January 6th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Open Source because most people would get Free Software confused with software that is free as in price but proprietary.

I prefer saying free software and add the words 'by free I mean free as in free speech, not free as in free beer'. This gives me an oppourtunity to say some words about the 4 freedoms and why we need them