PDA

View Full Version : Who has tried out Jaunty Jackalope?

Macfunky
April 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Is it any good? Any improvements? Whats right with it? Whats wrong with it?

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Trying the RC first time today!

It is supposed to boot faster and have a new usplash, as well as a new notification system. I am trying the Kubuntu variant, though. If KDE 4.2 lives up to hype, then I will be using it.

I am installing the AMD64 version, of course.

Perhaps they will have screen savers by default this time around? I miss that in Kubuntu Intrepid on live CD.

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Yes. It boots twice faster than intrepid, and got the first default wallpaper I like.

psmar
April 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Running Jaunty on several boxes ( including an older thinkpad 600e,so far its the most stable beta I've ever installed and even the sound worked ( with a minor tweak to the grub, right out of the box)faster, cleaner, and no real problems as yet.
they've been running for about a month now, and I cant wait till its official.

days_of_ruin
April 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I have run it in a vbox and I love the new look (window border is the same but the gtk theme has changed slightly). I don't have hw acceleration in vbox but the new notification system looks cool anyways.

reprobus
April 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am using the RC now. It is so much faster and more responsive. Everything works great. Its the best release yet.

lloyd_b
April 18th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Tried it, and reverted back to Intrepid. The Xorg drivers for some older Intel graphics chips (the i810 and i865g to be precise) are crippled and the machine I was testing on was only marginally usable (most applications worked, but slowly. I couldn't play movies at all, and most games won't run, even those that work beautifully under Intrepid).

I'm planning on leaving that machine on Intrepid until Karmic comes out, since there seems to be no rush on fixing the issue (the issue was in fact created as a "fix" for another bug with the Intel drivers).

Lloyd B.

Paqman
April 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I really like it. Much faster boot times, a cool new notifications system, new version of Amarok, better Bluetooth handling. It's all good stuff.

gnomeuser
April 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
There are a few things I really like, such as the inclusion of Moonlight in the repos and the ongoing work to make the audio stack much nicer. The ext4 support is very complete even including a grub patch which is nice. The new notifications are also pretty sexy (but they do not in themselves quite feel like part of the ecosystem yet). The boot seems a little faster.

There are unfortunately also a rather long list of things I greatly dislike (but let's not get into that now). It is a nice release though, better than Intrepid.

Mostly it feels frightfully incremental, nothing new or exciting. This might be good for some people but the fundamental truth is this is more of the same, users will find that it boots faster, has a pretty background but nothing that will really rock their world. It is in the purest sense Intrepid+1. I suspect users of Intrepid will be very pleased with the upgrade.

t.rei
April 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Running it for a while now on an ASUS M70 Laptop. I LOVE IT!

Suspend works.
Sound works.
Fast.
Nvidia-Driver works.
wine works.
WoW works.
EvE-online works.
Reliable.

Really - this is certainly one of the absolute best OS I have ever worked or gamed on.

Newuser1111
April 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Is it any good?Its much better than 8.10.

JK3mp
April 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Im glad to hear that Jaunty Jackelope is running fine. I was impressed with Intrepid after switching to it a couple months ago, but Jaunty sounds like another good release thus far :) . I might try it once it becomes official. Right now i don't wanna risk an unstable system, especially since motherboard went out on my test box so my only option would be VM or another partition. Going this weekend to get a new desktop so my current one will be my new test box so once i get switched i might just test it then

Wiebelhaus
April 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Did they sort out the "displayconfig-gtk" nonsense?

Depressed Man
April 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Did they fix the ext4 data loss issue? Thinking about installing it and trying out ext4..

haemulon
April 18th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I'm staying with Intrepid for a while longer.
Everything just works with it, all my hardware, right now I don't feel any hurry to switch.

SomeGuyDude
April 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
To me, the Intrepid -> Jaunty jump has been the greatest improvement since Feisty-Gutsy. If I was a full-time Ubuntu'er, I'd be thrilled.

jmtdstoc
April 18th, 2009, 07:56 PM
My Genius XSCROLL USB mouse (800dpi) is way too fast to be usable and I can't set it to be less sensitive, like I was able to do in 8.10.

But Kubuntu 9.04 and Fedora 11 have the same problem...

chris4585
April 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I like:

* New background(s)
* New Usplash
* Fading backgrounds
* I'm glad they finally updated the xsane icon
* Nvidia drivers in the repositories
* Dark Sand theme in the community themes
* OH OH OH, I LOVE how they finally fixed the volume applet. In 8.10, if you wanted to close the volume applet by clicking anywhere, the volume applet would not go away, you HAD to click on the volume applet, which was annoying, also you had to scroll over the volume applet to change volume instead of anywhere on the screen, which was also very annoying
* New volume applet
* How they changed "Sessions" to "Startup Applications"

I don't like:

* The way the notification system functions... for example when you move the mouse over it, it fades (wtf?) when you click on it, nothing happens (I want it gone?). Basically you have to wait for it to dissapear. Thats with compositing turned on too, without compositing it acts even more retarded. When you move the mouse over it, it doesn't fade, it just dissapears, when you click on it, I'm sure it does nothing too. The new notification system is sexy though.

wolfen69
April 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
The Xorg drivers for some older Intel graphics chips (the i810 and i865g to be precise) are crippled and the machine I was testing on was only marginally usable (most applications worked, but slowly.

that is a known issue, and will be fixed soon. i use nvidia, so no problems here. very fast and stable for me. probably my favorite version of ubuntu yet.

U-Bom-2
April 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I installed it today and what i can see is:

Fast startup
New Login
Come with popular themes
(at least for me) Wirless was fixes (Atheros Drives) and Visual Effects (ATI Card)
Faster Shutdown

I love it, here you can see how hard the Team is working

Wild_Duck66
April 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Boots faster then Intrepid, But on my Pentium 4/NVidia geforce 5700ve when I reduce the resolution of other users (grandkids=games) I get a box saying I have not got the right extensions, would I like to use the NVidia setup. If I click "yes" it will revert to max res. on the next reboot. If I click "no" I can still change it and it survives a reboot but a message "power management is not responding" appears every logout. Also had to find how to reinstate Ctrl-Alt_Backspace essential for games (as is disabling visual effects). Also on my Acer laptop the screen flicker every now and them, sometimes when you touch the mouse. Apart from that its all right.;)

NightwishFan
April 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Jaunty RC boots on my system from GRUB to KDM in about 8-10 seconds. Which is almost 50% faster than Intrepid.

hotweiss
April 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Best release yet!