PDA

View Full Version : Use Ubuntu without using terminal commands

naveensn
April 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for about 3-4 years now, and it always involved quite a bit of usage of terminal commands. Now I am trying to use Ubuntu without using any terminal commands for configuration. (Use terminal commands only for getting information For E.g glxinfo etc.). It's been 7 days so far. Has anybody else done this.?

swoll1980
April 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I think it's possible now, but I won't do it just because the terminal is so much easier when it come to certain things.

joshdudeha
April 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I prefer using the terminal for installing off apt-get, it seems easier and much quicker for me.

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I really like the terminal. Very nice.

jflaker
April 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I do upgrades with terminal as I have two systems

I ssh to the remote system and
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

then when that is done I do the same on my system since I am already in terminal....

After you already did a command, all you need to do is tap the uparrow and you get the last commands typed and it is almost a no-effort update/upgrade.

Ericyzfr1
April 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I rarely use terminal, if there is a GUI option I ususally go for it. It may not be always efficient, but for the most part it works.
I use terminal mainly for permissions.

sekinto
April 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I use the terminal where it is faster:
ex. updating and installing packages

I use GUI apps where they are faster:
ex. web browsing

I haven't been forced to use the terminal for like a year. I can even make detailed changed to Gnome and other apps without the terminal with Gconf Editor.

Paqman
April 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM
There's a few good GUI tools that remove a lot of the need to use the terminal. I like:

startupmanager
pysdm (and/or ntfs-config if you have ntfs partitions)
sbackup
nautilus-gksu

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Ubuntu is fit for general use without the terminal. Although some advanced things need to be set up with it, such as ndiswrapper. If you are really afraid of CLI, try OpenSUSE, as it has a tool called Yast that front ends some command line tools. Ubuntu should be fine though.

As for the terminal, I like it, especially for updates. I will log out and switch to console, and update while listening to music with ogg123, makes it easy to update and reboot with no issues.

forcecore
April 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
terminal is always very rare that i use, only needed things like gksudo nautilus or some info tool like wavemon, hwinfo etc... GUI is only future to everyone.

SomeGuyDude
April 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Use the tool appropriate to the job. Why would you avoid the best method to solve a problem just because it's not "graphical"?

XubuRoxMySox
April 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I'm such a spoiled brat! I point and click my way through as much as possible! I used the terminal only during my initial setup of Ubuntu 8.10 to get ndswrapper and ndisgtk so my wifi thingy would work (it lets Ubuntu use ******* drivers). Other than that, I pointed-and-clicked my way through absolutely everything else, from installing my favorite fancy fonts to transferring all my documents and photos and music from a CD backup I made in ******* before I installed Ubuntu.

Haven't used the terminal since setup, and I hope I never have to! It still scares the heck out of me... it feels kinda like I'm doing something that has the potential to catastrophically disrupt the space-time continuum or something.

I love my point and click simplicity!

-Robin

This message brought to you by Colt Firearms - the ORIGINAL point-and-click interface!

mamamia88
April 18th, 2009, 06:03 PM
i used it extensibly while getting everything exactly how i want it but now i only use it to install programs seems much quicker if you know the name of the program

bp1509
April 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
d

SunnyRabbiera
April 18th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Well I have been able to work around the terminal on many distros, its becoming a lot less common for me and I only use a terminal when needed

SomeGuyDude
April 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I don't particularly "prefer" either the CLI or the GUI, I just recognize that some tasks are a lot easier to accommplish through one or the other.

For example, editing my compiz/openbox menus or playing with GTK themes is a LOT easier with a GUI interface, but changing my conky setup or installing/uninstalling software is a lot easier from the CLI. I'm never going to use a text-only browser and I love GUI frontends for MPD, but I tend to use nano to edit system configuration files because it's faster for me.