PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloading Servers

ssdt
April 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Can the updating and upgrading servers can be better than what it is now because it is not that fast. It takes me more time to download than installing with my 2 gig memory computer.

Could the severs be a little faster at running and in the United States, it should be better.

Thank you

zvacet
April 19th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Time for new release to come is close and I think everybody who installed beta or RC version are getting lot of updates these days.That could be reason why servers are slow.Try to switch to some other server and see if that help.

ssdt
April 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM
No it's not now. I had done my upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 last month and still it was slow. So I was suggesting that it could be made faster.

spcwingo
April 19th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Why not just change to a different server in synaptic? I personally use the one at Georgia Tech.

cariboo
April 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I would suggest you go to System-->Administration-->Software Sources, and select other in the Download From dropdown, then click the Select Best Server button. Once it has finished click the Choose server button.

If I remember correctly, when Hardy was released, I ran the above, and was told a server in East Australia was the fastest for me. I live in Canada.

Jim

ssdt
April 19th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the trick. I have done it right now. Wish to see a better speed next upgrade.