PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't Install Linux Ubuntu/Mint

lxskllr
April 18th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi everybody. I'm going to cut/paste my questions from another general forum to save some effort :^D Hopefully You all will have some specific Ubuntu help :^)

Post1:
I've been trying to get Ubuntu(8.10, 9.04), and Mint(whatever the latest is) installed, and it freezes up every time.

I'll boot to the CD, and I'll pick either install or run as a live CD. It goes through the bouncy progress bar, then to the update bar. After it completely updates(loads), my screen blanks, and it sticks there. No CD or HD activity :^/

Any clues as to what the problem is? My CDs check out fine, and 1 of them I've used to install on a different computer. My specs are below...

Intel 865 mb (Asus P4P800SE)
P4 2.8ghz
Albatron TI4200
HP DVD drive
512mb ram

Nothing is overclocked

Post2:
Ok, memory checked out ok, and I made a bootable USB install, and it's still a no go. Booting from the USB drive gave me a cursor on a black screen(didn't get that before), but the cursor's non responsive. I'm posting from the USB live session on my main rig(in sig), so the USB drive works. I guess this points to some kind of hardware problem, but I don't know what. I'm leaning towards some kind of issue with the chipset, but I don't have enough experience with these things. Any ideas?

Edit:
Is there some way I can update the live disc(USB drive) on my main rig, so it'll work with the rig I'm trying to install Ubuntu on? I'm thinking some kind of extra fat image with lots of drivers built in(ala Windows), so it has everything it could possibly need to work.

Edit2:
I also tried installing Ubuntu through wubi, but it errored out towards the end of the installation. I need to get net access hooked up, and I can provide the log if you think that'll help. Nothing jumped out at me in the log file. The error was something along the lines of it looking for a file that didn't exist? Invalid path I believe it was :^/

New Edit:
I've tried launching the CD in safe gfx mode, and also tried toggling all the options in F6 menu

alfplayer
April 18th, 2009, 09:19 PM
You can try the text based alternate installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate).

I don't know what's on your usb drive, but the standard ubuntu cd or dvd disc should have all the necessary drivers, including drivers for old devices.

And, it would be useful to know the file that couldn't be found using wubi.

lxskllr
April 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have tried the alternate media before I posted. It's sort of working, but I'm having problems logging in. At the first log in screen, my mouse works, and as long as the hourglass is busy, I can move it. As soon as everything has loaded, my keyboard and mouse become unresponsive.

I had this problem on a different machine in 8.10, and I was hoping 9.04 would fix that. I used to be able to get in 8.04 after a couple of resets, but so far that isn't working now. If you know the answer to this problem off the top of your head, that would be great. I'm going to do some searching though, and maybe I'll post a new topic. Thanks again for your help :^)