PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics card advice

walthehippie
April 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
This RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro has got to go. I'm tired of looking at DKMS - Fail. I just tried the newest nvidia driver installer and screwed everything up and it took me hours to get back to nv.
It's time to admit that it's too old and is never going to work right.
I got a no name box with Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
Only a quarter gig of RAM. (I know, that should go up too.)
I'd like to upgrade the graphic card just far enough so that things work. I tried searching for answers and got a bad case of TMI (too much info).
If someone has done this before or knows what I need to know to buy a better graphics card that would work with Ubuntu and google earth, et al; I sure would appreciate it.

jerrrys
April 19th, 2009, 01:28 AM
RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro...did a little research on it. it seems to old to me to do anything with...maybe someone else?? bump>>

tommcd
April 19th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Is this an AGP or PCI card? If it is AGP, then get a nvidia 5200 or 6200. These should be fairly cheap and will be a big improvement over what you have. If it is a PCI card, then your options will be limited.

Since you only have 256mb memory, I think the first upgrade you should consider is adding more memory. 1GB memory would be the sweet spot.

walthehippie
April 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for your advice. It is AGP.

Therion
April 21st, 2009, 12:49 PM
About $50 (taxed and shipped to your door) and still a huge improvement over what you have now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130465

+1 on the memory upgrade. I'd do that before anything else. 1GB of RAM and decent card will make that system seem brand new and fired up.