PDA

View Full Version : 8th Grade PHP Programming Class

Prospero2006
April 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hello everyone,

I am piloting an 8th grade php programming class in San Antonio, Texas.
The students in my class have been working on a simple card game that allows users to create accounts, log in, and flip a set of three cards for points. We've been working on this for about 2 months now.

I put one of the games online here:

http://moodle.neisd.net/live/loginform.php

It will be fun for the kids to see who signs up and I'd really like to get some comments here that I can read to my class this week.

Remember: this program was written entirely by a kid who is 13. (Alex Rendon.)

I have 14 other kids who almost have their programs as polished as this one. It should work for you!

I would really appreciate it if some folks would try it, flip the cards a few times, and comment!

Resources:
http://www.neisd.net/imak/lessonplans/beck/
(Lesson Plan Page)
http://www.neisd.net/imak/computerlabpage/history.html
(Linux Labs at iMAK History.)

Newuser1111
April 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
You have 2000 points.I got 2000 points.

EDIT:
The Terms of Use and Privacy Policy links don't work.
And the XHTML link shows the site has errors.

michy99
April 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I would suggest including a brief description of the game explaining the point system.

master5o1
April 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I don't get it.

master5o1
April 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
So it's just somewhat random whether you increase or decrease in the number of points you have?

I've been refreshing for a couple of times and now have 3000 points :D

Let's hope I can make over9000.

master5o1
April 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I managed to get over9000 points...:P

It seems to favour increasing your points.

daisyfoofpoof
April 18th, 2009, 04:15 PM
pfft i learned actionscript in 7th grade. lol sorry i just like showing off, but really, those kids are talented. I never learned any of the web languages (html, php, js) my school offers a 9th grade python class, maybe I'll post something here. good luck with your project

master5o1
April 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I've learnt all my stuff on my own...Only help is from my brother (HTML/PHP/JS).

I learnt BASCOM's BASIC from school and began C at uni last year.

joshdudeha
April 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
It would be better if it told you what it actually does.
It's really good, but what is it apart from me having to click on "Play Again" and watching what happens.

hkgonra
April 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I think it is AWESOME to have a programming class in 8th grade. In my area the most you can get in computer classes before college is how to operate word and that class is only offered in high school.

Prospero2006
April 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the comments. Keep them coming. We'll write a game description. You are right. -Two card and three card matches win points!

Thank You!

U-Bom-2
April 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I found a bug. I register and log in, play then i loose, i closed the windows and when i click the link again and go to the page it keep me loged in but have not link to play :) some tell me if is just me or what.

master5o1
April 19th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I found a bug. I register and log in, play then i loose, i closed the windows and when i click the link again and go to the page it keep me loged in but have not link to play :) some tell me if is just me or what.

I've seen this too. There should be a link from the login page to the playing page IF you are logged in.

RichardLinx
April 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I played it. It's pretty cool, especially considering there in 8th grade. Now all you have to do is slowly convert them to Linux...