PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] attempting to build new computer

mr_gourami
April 18th, 2009, 02:22 PM
so it turns out my laptop hardware is begging to fail. I dont know how much longer it is going to last. so its cheaper & better to build a desktop by hand yes?

Well i have never done this and never really done this before. Any suggested reading on where to start. I have an old computer that works fine. Can i just start replacing bits on this slowly. But i assume i start with a new motherboard and work my way up. But no idea what is good or not.

so any suggested list or suggested reading would be appriciated.

Paranoid Tux
April 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM
If you have never built a computer before than I strongly suggest that you leave the laptop well alone for the time being. They are a headache, even if you knwo what you are doing.

To start building a computer it is important to know what is availabe on the market at the present time and also to know which bits you need to make a minimal system that will do what you want it to. Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, Case, PSU, Fans, etc... If you go to your local news agent and buy some computer magazines that would be the ideal place to start and to get an overview. Just remember that it is often cheaper to start from scratch than to try and replace an old system piece by piece, as often the don't want to play together anyway.

Hope this helps somehwat. Reading is the key though..

Cheers,

Paranoid

mr_gourami
April 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM
If you have never built a computer before than I strongly suggest that you leave the laptop well alone for the time being. They are a headache, even if you knwo what you are doing.

To start building a computer it is important to know what is availabe on the market at the present time and also to know which bits you need to make a minimal system that will do what you want it to. Motherboard, CPU, RAM, HDD, Case, PSU, Fans, etc... If you go to your local news agent and buy some computer magazines that would be the ideal place to start and to get an overview. Just remember that it is often cheaper to start from scratch than to try and replace an old system piece by piece, as often the don't want to play together anyway.

Hope this helps somehwat. Reading is the key though..

Cheers,

Paranoid

oh i have a laptop and an old desktop. i plan to build a desktop and if i need a laptop get a little netbook. but i dont think i can use anything from the old desktop except mabye the power supply, case and fans. its about 6 years old (at least). i dont think or cant imagine that anything from it is usuable on a new system.

Detonate
April 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
so its cheaper & better to build a desktop by hand yes?

Probably not. The advantage to building your own is in the quality and the learning experience. You can pick the best components. But you can't build a computer as cheap as the major manufacturers anymore. A few years ago you could save a lot of money by building your own, but that's no longer true.

Check out places like Tiger Direct and Newegg for package deals. Also visit the major manufacturers sites and find their deals on refurbished machines.

pbpersson
April 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
But you can't build a computer as cheap as the major manufacturers anymore. A few years ago you could save a lot of money by building your own, but that's no longer true.

That is what I was going to point out as well. I like to build my own computers because:

1. I know the quality of the parts being used
2. I know the quality of the workmanship in assembly
3. I think it is awesome fun
4. If anything goes wrong I can fix it

However, you can get a brand new decent desktop for $400 and it would be difficult to build one for that price