PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

jeepmanjr
January 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'm new to the Ubuntu forums and new to linux/Ubuntu in general. Wanted to say "hey" and thanks for having me. ;)

I've fiddled with various Linux distros over the years, RH, Mandrake, Mandriva, Suse, blah, blah, and eventually "stumbled" across Ubuntu. Did some research, saw the reviews, did the DL and installed. All went well, Breezy found my hardware without any issues and here I am.

Initially, the plugin/codec/encoder/decoder gig was kind of a hassle. But, I did my homework, discovered Universe/Multiverse, and everything works now. Out of all of the distros I've played with, Ubuntu was by far the easiest to set up. The sudo thing threw me for a loop at the beginning, but easily got used to it. Besides, sudo su is pretty much the same thing!

So there ya have it. A Noob sets up a fully functioning desktop in four days with very little experience. If I can do it, I know most anyone can. Just gotta get past that Micro$oft mentality!!

Ubuntu has renewed my interest in computing. Life is good.

:cool: Mike

earobinson
January 5th, 2006, 04:20 PM
thanks for stoping by

ahman_ra
January 5th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the (usually) intelligent side of computers. I'll just borrow your thread for my "Hello Wor..." ummmm... I mean, hello forum.

Linux is very function in todays Windows "Swiss Cheese" security world. I'm learning c, c++, and (due to current work issues) visual c++. I know it's a M$ world, but that doesn't mean i have to choke it down too. So, I'm getting people used to OO.o and Firefox. Now I'm getting my partner in the IT department into the world of Linux through an Apache webserver. Now if the .net equivalent (sorry, can't remember the name, just that novell is developing it), I'll be completely happy about it.

So, in closing (since i'm wordy):

Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a recovering Windows-halic.

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Jeepmanjr. Cool to hear your experience with Ubuntu!
One cool thing to check out is 6.0.4 being in development. And oh yeah, the community chat is always a fun place to hang out :)

jeepmanjr
January 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks fellas!

Oh, Dan, sorry man... I stoled your signature. I couldn't resist!!! I'll trade ya for some blank dvdr's or something! :razz:

Mike

poofyhairguy
January 6th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Welcome!