PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NEED HELP!!! my harddrive become very hot

nutelrooy
April 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Now my system is lenovo thinkpad t61 and I run ubuntu 8.10 on wubi. My problem is I can feel very hot near the palmrest on the right side of the laptop and I do not feel this in window except when I defrag my harddrive. Then I try to monitor the temperature of my harddrive using lm-sensors which give out 47 'C. I think this number is very high because it'll be only 38'C on window.

Is this problem coming from wubi?
or it's a bug inside Ubuntu

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thank for your help:D

Bucky Ball
April 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
http://colorfulcuriosities.blogspot.com/2008/05/ubuntu-hard-drive-cycle-linux-only.html

Go there immediately and run the suggested tests. You could be suffering from a problem that will kill your hard drive rather quickly. It is a problem with the Load Cycle Count. That or a faulty drive; hardware problem.

nutelrooy@hotmail.com
April 20th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I don't think the problem came from load cycle. I tried to check the load cycle number and it was the same after 15 minutes.

Any suggestion? :(

Bucky Ball
April 20th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hardware dying? You might want to get that checked out.

tom.schavo
April 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Is hardware dying is right. Its just a word to say h/w is screwed up. A similar problem occured in my hard drive and i did not take the right steps when required. The drive was completely heating up and i cared nothing.

finally it gave in. Had to buy new one. I just had to ensure that proper cooling happened, but my laziness destroyed it. So make sure you provide adequate cooling to it, external cooling also matters a lot. hope this helps.

nutelrooy@hotmail.com
April 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thank for all your help. I just began to backup all important things for safety.

But I do not think the problem come from the hardware because
- this heat problem never occur when I use window. (In window, it's 10'c cooler for harddisk but for CPU and mainboard, the temperature is all the same.)
- I can feel this heat on my first day using Ubuntu.

Is it come from Wubi? I think my harddisk become hotter when I use virtual software like Virtualbox.:confused:

Bucky Ball
April 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
Are you running anything from CD? If so, the CD drive could be making your machine hot, not the hard drive.

nutelrooy
April 25th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Are you running anything from CD? If so, the CD drive could be making your machine hot, not the hard drive.

No. I haven't use it for more than a month.