PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Insatlling Root on ubuntu (hardy)

Cenko
April 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'm triying to install programming language root on ubuntu 8.04. I got some problems. It tells me (I deleted the non-problematic lines)

Checking for X11/extensions/shape.h ... no
configure: X11/extensions/shape.h header (xorg-x11-proto-devel) MUST be installed

I have this package on my ubuntu. Even I tried to install it again. The package installer tells me:

cenk@Cenko:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb
(Reading database ... 101363 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xorg-x11-proto-devel (from xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/include/X11/HPkeysym.h', which is also in package x11proto-core-dev
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
xorg-x11-proto-devel_7.4-6_all.deb

Sometimes I get really tired. I install one package, it wants another one. Am I doing something wrong?

Brucevdk
April 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Am I doing something wrong?

Well, it would seem the common phrase "You're doing it wrong" would indeed apply here. Why don't you just use (instead of compiling from source):

sudo apt-get install root-system

Or even install it through Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager).

Cenko
April 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I tried it does not install that way. I found out that when I did ./configure it said "no" after checking some packages and files.But it did not stop process like before. How can i install these dependent on root?

I mean I want them to be deleted when I uninstall root.

Cenko
April 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Ok! I did it finally!

You were right, I did it with apt-get. However before it was not able to find "root-system". After I made the change in the link, it worked.

http://mirror.phy.bnl.gov/debian-root/

einsteiniixy
June 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
i did a search on the web for exactly the same problem (except my ubuntu is 9.04), and thanks to you guys.

Cenko
August 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Well, now I use ubuntu 9.04 and installed root from root.cern.ch by dowloading the source.

It's ofcourse easier by installing from apt-get, but then you won't have many features (At least it was so for me). It's better to install from source with options you want. It can keep asking you to install some packages, but be patient and install all these with aptitude.

Then you'll have a better root than one in ubuntu repository.