PDA

View Full Version : SliTaz - looks good

longtom
April 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I read myself into SliTaz (http://www.slitaz.org/en/) yesterday and put in on a virtual machine this morning. SliTaz Forums are down right now, so I just thought sharing with you my experience this far.

What a neat, little distro. I would love to see what it does on an old PC - but it seems razorsharp, easy to use, pleasing on the eye and works out of the box.

Got it installed on the harddrive but works just as fast from the .iso or the CD. A package manager is there helping you to install whatever you need from the SliTaz repos.

I have done DSL and Puppy, but for the easiest install and most userfriendly, simple and fast OS experience as far as mini distros are concerned, SliTaz impressed me most.

Anybody else had a go at it?

billgoldberg
April 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I read myself into SliTaz (http://www.slitaz.org/en/) yesterday and put in on a virtual machine this morning. SliTaz Forums are down right now, so I just thought sharing with you my experience this far.

What a neat, little distro. I would love to see what it does on an old PC - but it seems razorsharp, easy to use, pleasing on the eye and works out of the box.

Got it installed on the harddrive but works just as fast from the .iso or the CD. A package manager is there helping you to install whatever you need from the SliTaz repos.

I have done DSL and Puppy, but for the easiest install and most userfriendly, simple and fast OS experience as far as mini distros are concerned, SliTaz impressed me most.

Anybody else had a go at it?

I got it installed on an old (very old) pc.

It ran great, until I upgraded to the newest version of Slitaz.

It borked X and I couldn't get it up and running again.

It does bother me a bit that their repositories are extremely small.

longtom
April 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
It does bother me a bit that their repositories are extremely small.

I agree to a degree. It depends on for what you want to use it. I'd love to get Virtualbox running on it and try it as my "mothership" for distro testing....:D

snowpine
April 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
qemu is in the SliTaz repositories; think of it as a lighter version of Virtualbox.

I am a big SliTaz fan! :) I have it installed on all of my computers as a second operating system in case my main install goes wrong. It fits easily into a 500mb partition with lots of room to spare!

ps And don't forget, you can install applications not in the repositories by using dpkg or compiling from source.

longtom
April 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
And don't forget, you can install applications not in the repositories by using dpkg or compiling from source.

Compiling from source appears to be way over my head right now...but if I get more into this distro I am afraid I'll need to learn sooner or later.

Thank you for your tip about qemu - I'll have a look at it.

Pitty so the SliTaz Forums are out of commision whole day already... hope that is not a reoccuring thing...

Greg
April 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I play around with it in VirtualBox, tazwok seems like a really nice tool. I also like the OpenBox config on it.

john_spiral
April 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Version 2 has just been released!
Posting this message from an ancient 233 mhz/ 384 megs memory dinosaur. Running SliTaz GNU/Linux 2.0 (29 MB). Installed Opera for faster web access. You can't beat this distro for old beasts.
John