PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling Ubuntu grub after xp installation

Profark
April 18th, 2009, 08:23 AM
i have installed the windows xp and the MBR is overwriten.Ubuntu menu is not showing and computer directly runs form xp.how i will install the grub i had tired the following

1. I insert the Ubuntu cd into the cd rom and select run Ubuntu without any thing to your computer (i mean first option).
2. I open the Terminal and type the following commands

fdisk -l

grub

root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)

but it gives me error:

Sting Parsing can not done

plz help me thks in advance

Herman
April 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
The instructions you followed were okay, but they were probably wrtten for all Linux distros. Ubuntu is different from other Linux distros. We have special security in place which requires us to use the word 'sudo' before any command that will make system-wide or important changes.

1. I insert the Ubuntu cd into the cd rom and select run Ubuntu without any thing to your computer (i mean first option).
2. I open the Terminal and type the following commands

sudo fdisk -l
sudo grub
root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)If you open your GRUB shell with 'sudo', you will be asked for your passwoprd, (unless you just typed it in the last few miutes), and you'll be given a shell with 'root' priveleges. (administrator power).
If you forget or don't know you need to use 'sudo', you'll still have a GRUB shell, but it won't be very useful.

EDIT: Also, make sure you type '(hd0)' - as in H D zero, the number zero, - don't type '(HDO) - H D O as in 'O' for orange.

sahabcse
April 18th, 2009, 10:46 AM
For fixing the grub follow below url

http://sahabm.blogspot.com/2009/01/grub-fix-windows.html
http://sahabm.blogspot.com/2009/01/grub-fix-ubuntu.html

Keith Hedger
April 18th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Always keep a SuperGrub disk handy, its got me out of similar problems more than once, ( I like to try out different distros, but always come back to Ubuntu ).

king2007
April 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
herman, good morning ! can i ask you to help me with my system ? i messed it up completely so i cannot access my windows xp - disc.....:(
:(

meierfra.
April 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
king2007: Please start your own thread. In the new thread, include more information. How did you mess up your system? Post the output of "sudo fdisk -lu".