PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ridiculously low resolution

Apocrathia
April 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM
i don't know what happened, the resolution is too low to do anything (<320x240). here's my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

i have an nvidia geforce 5700 in the computer, i would normally use the nvidia-settings app to adjust the display, however, i can't even get to it...

i've tried purging the setting app hoping that it would revert to default settings but nothing.

any ideas??

Apocrathia
April 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I've tried resetting my xserver by using
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg However, I still haven't had much luck. Thankfully the computer sits in my closet and was configured to run headless server (gui for vnc), I've only recently hooked a monitor to it. But it still performs all the tasks I need for it to.

ambdeep
April 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
did this happen after an upgrade or someting......if so go to the nvidia site and download the driver and install it....usually that is the main problem.

Apocrathia
April 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I switched the monitor port on video card from one to the other, and that's when it freaked the hell out.

can I uninstall everything via the commandline? i have ssh access to the box and that's about the most useful thing available to me right now.