PDA

View Full Version : Dumbuntu?????

neu2buntu
April 18th, 2009, 03:47 AM
"Hello ubuntians!"

what is the dumbest thing you have done yet on k/x/ubuntu?.... well heres mine......
i downloaded a program "wired-0.6" and extracted it,but i must have unchecked "recreate folders" in file roller ""archive-manager!" and it spilled over a thousand files in to my ~/ home directory (what a mess) or else i "made" ..MAKE it in my home file(not sure) but now im left with a slow to index home (takes around 20 second or more to open)........ so now every time im in my home folder i delete some files!!!! (the reason im not sure what has happened here,is because i have tried to build wired-0.6 so often before noticing my mistake!!!!

and still cannot install wired-0.6!!!!! well post your "STUPID" stuff...dont make me the only noob!!!
im a big "noob"..lol..
/screenshot/* dumb_wiki_!! :oops: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumb)

qwertyuiop96
April 18th, 2009, 03:52 AM
I was dualbooting Ubuntu and Windows, but I saw the Windows files in Ubuntu and thought they were windows junk interfering, deleted them, Windows died. Had to wipe the drive and do a clean reinstall because pieces of XP floating around.

James_Lochhead
April 18th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I once removed myself from the sudoers file on the only account I had (no idea how I managed it, wasn't editing the file).

I have fiddled with multiple screens and GDM a few times as well and managed to kill GNOME.

They are all good experiences though, they helped me to learn Linux. I am not afraid to fiddle anymore (not that I ever was!). IMO, you can't learn Linux without breaking things occasionally.

James_Lochhead
April 18th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Oh and I installed grub to an encrypted lvm volume the other day and spent 30 minutes working out what I had done... even though I know grub doesn't work properly on an encrypted partition.

rucadulu
April 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM
This happen on RHEL 5.1 , deleted libstdc++ fron /usr/lib/ this a very bad move please do not ever do this.

-grubby
April 18th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Aaaaaaaaaa formatting overload!!!!

ticopelp
April 18th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I wrecked probably three installs learning Ubuntu, especially the command line. While messing around with grub (or was it fdisk?) I somehow massively screwed something up and had to spend hours with a disk utility trying to retrieve all the data I'd misplaced.

Learned a lot, though.

neu2buntu
April 18th, 2009, 05:03 AM
luckily when i moved to linux "ubuntu" i experimented before settling in... think i reinstalled about 10 times on 8.04 because of fiddling with the terminal as "sudo", this was before i joined up with the forum(obviously)....i did do a successfull upgrade on my advent laptop from 8.04 to 8.10 ,but ended up doing a clean install of 8.10 on it.......i know updates can break stuff but i know it can always be sorted on here!!!!

the last dumb thing i did,was (for reasons unknown) with a faulty usbdrive was to mount it and do a "cat" on it ,then when i thought it had finished i just unplugged it (stupid!!!)... next thing i know on the next reboot /black/screen/of/death/* after a lot of surfing (i realised my bios was corrupt /broke/down "whatever" ,so had to flash it (acer aspire one) wont be doing that again in a hurry!!! i have done even more dumb stuff than this.... im only a plasterer....but all my ******* friends say im good with ):Pcomputers....they dont know much!!!...:lolflag::lolflag:

James_Lochhead
April 18th, 2009, 05:55 AM
What do you expect with an Acer? ;)

I made the mistake of buying a £1000 (GB) laptop from Acer about 8 months ago. It was blue screening within a day. I took it back, got another one, that was blue screening within an hour. I will never ever, ever buy an Acer again.

CJ Master
April 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM

+1 Trippy colors :o

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 06:15 AM

+1

I feel ill now.

neu2buntu
April 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
i have been thinking about getting a more powerfull machine,and have been looking at acer's too..the chances of you getting 2 bad machines is low,...hmmm ...although i have to say im very happy with my acer aspire one (on it now,listening to last.fm) the 1 bad bsod was my own fault(i think) but i will take on board what you have said!!!!

trying to think of more dumbass stuff that i have done???

hmmm. cant say "using windows" as it was my stepping stone for linux!!!

probably buying a usb to usb connector on ebay and thinking i could just "network" my 2 lappys" ...might as well use my 2 index fingers for the connection...\\:D/

Saint Angeles
April 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
i think you may need a more powerful machine to handle all those colors you use on the forums.

neu2buntu
April 18th, 2009, 06:44 AM
am i tripping everyone out...ooops sorry. thats me back to ye old black and white....... now i see what "formatting overload" means. lol... now im scared to use colour ever again,scarred for life... you guys are so mean...lol.... now that is the dumbest thing i have done on ubuntu was use colour and resize on here.............................................. ................going to remove gimp now too,and remove my Desktop....

Orlsend
April 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I let xorg have the privileges needed to look for a proper screen reolution (External screen) it work on my external, but my eeepc was messed up. so baad I had to edit a file in nano in recovery mode. I decided that that a fresh install was faster and less painful.

CJ Master
April 18th, 2009, 07:55 AM
am i tripping everyone out...ooops sorry. thats me back to ye old black and white....... now i see what "formatting overload" means. lol... now im scared to use colour ever again,scarred for life... you guys are so mean...lol.... now that is the dumbest thing i have done on ubuntu was use colour and resize on here.............................................. ................going to remove gimp now too,and remove my Desktop....

Heh, don't feel bad... we're really all nice people here.

...Unless you flame Ubuntu. Then we come into your home with sharp knives.

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Unless you flame Ubuntu. Then we come into your home with sharp knives.

You know... I wouldn't exactly be surprised.

matmatmat
April 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Installing KDE 4.2, it made my install really slow & now I only have 503MiB on my / partition & my /home is filling up too!

3rdalbum
April 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I once tried to compile a new version of libfreetype, and give it some extra options that I thought might be interesting.

As soon as I did "sudo make install", I could no longer open any more graphical programs. Including any terminals. Thankfully I realised that "xterm" is dependency-free and works no matter what, and I already knew what package I needed to reinstall.

Phew!

gn2
April 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
While waiting for my laptop on the kitchen table to update from 7.04 to 7.10 I made instant coffee in a microwave and it created a localised electromagnetic time vortex which knocked the laptop back to 6.10....

Eisenwinter
April 18th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The dumbest thing I've done was "proving to my friend that the root filesystem cannot be deleted as a regular user", on Debian, and executed rm -rf /.

Deleted my home folder.

xir_
April 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
i changed the ownership permissions of my entire files system with a sudo recursive command. That required a reinstall...

i updated my libc ( i think) and then i ended up in a dependency nightmare.

forrestcupp
April 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
i think you may need a more powerful machine to handle all those colors you use on the forums.

Right. I think it's even against the forum guidelines to change colors that much.

nothingspecial
April 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I like colours :D

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Not ubuntu related, but the stupidest thing I did on my computer was install windows.

calrogman
April 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM
+1 Trippy colors :o

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/its-beautiful.jpg

neu2buntu
April 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
yeah,yeah,yeah enough of the slagging about my "format overloading"...... i was in a colourfull mood(and i though them mushrooms in my garden were edible..) so what????....... back to the original post i made ,about the dumbest thing you have done yet on x/k/ubuntu!!!! or are you all so perfect you have not messed up yet?.............................well?

collinp
April 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Long time ago, I somehow deleted my /home and /usr. That was fun.

Perty colours :shock: