PDA

View Full Version : Walk for hunger at my school today! 10mi walk!

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Okay so we all walked 10 miles today, which is about 16 kilometers. Last year I gave up about 1/4 the way there, this time I finally got it! And now all my limbs are killing me. Well, it WAS for a good cause, especially in this recession.

hansdown
April 18th, 2009, 03:31 AM
That is a very good cause dragos240.

Congrats on finishing.

solitaire
April 18th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Our school did one every year when i was at school. 10 miles along the shore line!
was great fun apart from the freezing cold sea lol!!

Also 10 miles should not make you too sore unless you're unfit :P lol!!
I was knacked after it but me and my mates did try and run the full 10 miles! lol!

we got let home after we finished and we wanted away before lunch! lol!!!

Grant A.
April 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry if I don't quite get þis, but what exactly does walking for hunger do?

CJ Master
April 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry if I don't quite get this, but what exactly does walking for hunger do?

I'm guessing that sponsors donate food to local food shelters if enough students show the dedication by walking the 10miles.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 12:24 PM
n1 dragos!!

billgoldberg
April 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Okay so we all walked 10 miles today, which is about 16 kilometers. Last year I gave up about 1/4 the way there, this time I finally got it! And now all my limbs are killing me. Well, it WAS for a good cause, especially in this recession.

That's what, a 3 hour walk?

Sorry buddy but that's not really impressive.

glotz
April 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
The walking may not be impressive but walking for a cause is.

I find it quite amazing while me and you ponder what to wear to the night's concert, some other poor sod wonders if they get to eat today...

billgoldberg
April 18th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I find it quite amazing while me and you ponder what to wear to the night's concert, some other poor sod wonders if they get to eat today...

True.

But I'm not losing any sleep over it.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 12:59 PM
keep it up dragos :)

The walking may not be impressive but walking for a cause is.

totally true

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
True.

yet you would lost your sleep if you were the one not able to eat, isn't that right?
wouldn't you like someone to fight for you if you couldn't do something by yourself?

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
yet you would lost your sleep if you were the one not able to eat, isn't that right?
wouldn't you like someone to fight for you if you couldn't do something by yourself?

Wow, you don't like what you hear, so you try to guilt-trip him?

And I'd hardly call walking ten miles "fighting" for someone.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
True.

real nice.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Wow, you don't like what you hear, so you try to guilt-trip him?

And I'd hardly call walking ten miles "fighting" for someone.

nope i was just asking what i thought that had an obvious answer, sorry if you picked such a tone

it is not the walking that matters, it is participating, showing that you care

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 01:42 PM
and to be honest, i would have a real problem sleeping if i didn't try to help those around me. not caring about someone suffering is as bad as making him suffer, in my opinion . the whole "it was not me the one who caused it" idea is totally ridiculous

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 01:44 PM
nope i was just asking what i thought that had an obvious answer, sorry if you picked such a tone

it is not the walking that matters, it is participating, showing that you care

Yeah, but the walking itself doesn't actually do anything for the starving people, does it? It's the money generated from the event. You can easily just donate money to the cause and be done with it. Just donating money doesn't mean you care any less than you would if you walked the ten miles.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah, but the walking itself doesn't actually do anything for the starving people, does it? It's the money generated from the event. You can easily just donate money to the cause and be done with it. Just donating money doesn't mean you care any less than you would if you walked the ten miles.

doing such an event is called awareness. some people need to be reminded.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM

by walking you make an event
by making an even you make companies advertise themselves throught the event
by ads they get more money as more people get to know them
by getting more money, they give some for the cause of th event

this is in case of a walk like this

in the case of a riot for a certain right , you give the equivalent power to the party you fight for and it can grant more just measures by pressing the government

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 01:48 PM
doing such an event is called awareness. some people need to be reminded.

as said, awareness by itself IS helping

if people knew that others died of hunger , they would care less about their car, their boat or their brand new cell phone and more about their fellow citizens.

Also, by fighting for any cause , you get a more just world for everyone, small steps achieved every time
never forget this :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Martin_Niemoeller.jpg

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
as said, awareness by itself IS helping

if people knew that others died of hunger , they would care less about their car, their boat or their brand new cell phone and more about their fellow citizens.

So are you saying we should live our lives constantly reminded of the misfortunes of others? I'm all for feeling grateful and thankful for what I do have, but I'm certainly not going to feel guilty for having it just because someone else does not.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the way I feel on the subject.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
So are you saying we should live our lives constantly reminded of the misfortunes of others? I'm all for feeling grateful and thankful for what I do have, but I'm certainly not going to feel guilty for having it just because someone else does not.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's the way I feel on the subject.

don't say it to me, say it to the dying kid on the streets downtown :)

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
don't say it to me, say it to the dying kid on the streets downtown :)

Tell him about this guy you talked to on the internet. You know, the internet the dying kid on the street probably doesn't have. ;)

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Tell him about this guy you talked to on the internet. You know, the internet the dying kid on the street probably doesn't have. ;)

hahaha you Almost had a point here, or you would have if i was just talking about fighting for peoples' rights without feeling it.

having internet, food and a home doesn't stop you from sending food to the countries where people starve because rich people want cheaper oil, or at the families of your own community where there are kids that suffer from their parents' inability to care about them. you can always have both of them, everyone can understand it

billgoldberg
April 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM

That kind of argument doesn't go with me.

People show empathy for people they know, and due to some Darwinian malfunction also for strangers.

But the empathy for strangers is hardly as strong for the people you know.

I know people are dying right now and would help them if I knew them, but I don't.

Do you expect people to feel sorry for everything wrong in the world?

That's not the way it works.

Don't try to guilt-trip me, it won't work.

--

Thread lockdown in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
That kind of argument doesn't go with me.

People show empathy for people they know, and due to some Darwinian malfunction also for strangers.

But the empathy for strangers is hardly as strong for the people you know.

I know people are dying right now and would help them if I knew them, but I don't.

Do you expect people to feel sorry for everything wrong in the world?

That's not the way it works.

Don't try to guilt-trip me, it won't work.

it's a pity that some of us still think this way, i can't think of any way to persuade someone who just doesn't care that everyone's life matters.

that being said, i'm most probably not coming back to this thread

billgoldberg
April 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
it's a pity that some of us still think this way, i can't think of any way to persuade someone who just doesn't care that everyone's life matters.

I didn't say that.

I said I don't feel guilty when people die of famine when I have food.

That's not the same as saying I don't care about human life.

Your logic sir, is faulty.

Nepherte
April 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have to agree with billgoldberg here. Feeling guilty because you have things to eat while others don't is totally different than saying you don't care. It's almost as if you should starve to death yourself just because there are others in the world starving to death as well.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I didn't say that.

I said I don't feel guilty when people die of famine when I have food.

That's not the same as saying I don't care about human life.

Your logic sir, is faulty.

if one can save another's life, and instead of doing so, he chooses to enjoy his life, he is by definition guilty. Since most of us have at least 10 euros to spare each month, not doing so is what i consider wrong
now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a flame war or to make you feel bad about something. i just say what i think of the subject in question, and that is that when a crime is known, the one who can stop it and doesn't try, is not less guilty than the one who commits the crime.
others might think that trying will not bear any fruits, that evil is synonym to humans' existence and stuff like that. since i can't accept this as true though, i try to consider helping with actions and some of my spare money a good thing to do

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have to agree with billgoldberg here. Feeling guilty because you have things to eat while others don't is totally different than saying you don't care. It's almost as if you should starve to death yourself just because there are others in the world starving to death as well.

that is not true. if one feels guilty about his luck to be born on a rather rich European country , it will make him try to help, not to starve to death himself.

Nepherte
April 18th, 2009, 03:25 PM
if one can save another's life, and instead of doing so, he chooses to enjoy his life, he is by definition guilty. Since most of us have at least 10 euros to spare each month, not doing so is what i consider wrong

Guilt is just too subjective. Maybe he is guilty, but that doesn't mean the person feels guilty himself.

And I'm not quite following you with the whole 10 euro thing. If you have 10 euros left to spare each month, you're guilty (it's probably not what you meant, I just can't place it)?

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Guilt is just too subjective. Maybe he is guilty, but that doesn't mean the person feels guilty himself.

And I'm not quite following you with the whole 10 euro thing. If you have 10 euros left to spare each month, you're guilty (it's probably not what you meant, I just can't place it)?

what i said was that in case one has some money to spare in order to get some food for the poor or send some medicine to war-stricken countries, not doing so is wrong, to my logic at least

as of the subjective nature of guilt, is it that way or are we all trying to feel less guilty ourselves, at different levels each one?

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM
what i said was that in case one has some money to spare in order to get some food for the poor or send some medicine to war-stricken countries, not doing so is wrong, to my logic at least

as of the subjective nature of guilt, is it that way or are we all trying to feel less guilty ourselves, at different levels each one?

So saving money is actually hoarding money?

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
So saving money is actually hoarding money?

excuse my problems with the language but i do not know what hoarding means

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
excuse my problems with the language but i do not know what hoarding means

To store away so no one else can have it, not because you need it.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 03:34 PM
To store away so no one else can have it, not because you need it.

now it seems that either i can't follow what you are trying to say, or that you didn't completely follow my logic with the example of the 10 euros - in case you want to save money you can always help with actions instead of financially, walking 10 miles might be a good example of that (for a cause of course , i mean what the OP did)

dragos240
April 18th, 2009, 03:47 PM
That's what, a 3 hour walk?

Sorry buddy but that's not really impressive.

Yeah, I guess I just wanted to post it, and I'm pretty unfit so it was a new accomplishment for me :P