PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] So many problems!!!

Gael33
April 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM
My knowledge of the tech side of computers is very limited, but I have learned one thing since becoming an Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron user. I have learned through experience not to meddle with new releases that are beyond my expertise to fix when all goes pear shaped. When Ubuntu 8.10 was released I excitedly downloaded a copy and installed it ... it caused me no end of problems, from graphic errors to boot failure. Fortunately, I had recent Flyback backups saved on a external hdd. I went back to Ubuntu 8.04 and used Flyback to return my system to how it was previously ... no problems since. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't progress, what I am saying is is that it is less frustrating to people who are new to Linux to stick with an OS that is proven stable and reliable, and leave the "fixes" to those who are knowledgeable to fix them. From my own experience and from what I've read on the messages, new releases are always troublesome ... why would anyone want to leave a good and trouble free operating system for one that they know is going to give them problems ... leave it to the geeks, they apparently enjoy the challenge, as for me and people like me, we just want a stable and reliable OS, that's why we turned our backs on Microsoft Windows.

MuddBuddha
April 18th, 2009, 01:06 AM
It is hard to resist the other side of the fence....just in case the grass really is greener; but you're right, better to stick with what you know is stable.

I've been using 8.10 with absolutely no problems at all. Yet, twice since the 9.04 beta came out I've installed it even though I knew that the sound buttons would stop working and the laptop was a little slower as Xorg would sometimes ramp the CPU for apparently no reason. both times I've reverted back to 8.10, but still the temptation is there to upgrade again.

I must be one of the lucky ones. I've installed 8.10 on my Dell quad, (2) IBM R51 latops and (2) Sony VAIOS and have had no problems at all.

leonardo_neo
April 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
My knowledge of the tech side of computers is very limited, but I have learned one thing since becoming an Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron user. I have learned through experience not to meddle with new releases that are beyond my expertise to fix when all goes pear shaped. When Ubuntu 8.10 was released I excitedly downloaded a copy and installed it ... it caused me no end of problems, from graphic errors to boot failure. Fortunately, I had recent Flyback backups saved on a external hdd. I went back to Ubuntu 8.04 and used Flyback to return my system to how it was previously ... no problems since. Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't progress, what I am saying is is that it is less frustrating to people who are new to Linux to stick with an OS that is proven stable and reliable, and leave the "fixes" to those who are knowledgeable to fix them. From my own experience and from what I've read on the messages, new releases are always troublesome ... why would anyone want to leave a good and trouble free operating system for one that they know is going to give them problems ... leave it to the geeks, they apparently enjoy the challenge, as for me and people like me, we just want a stable and reliable OS, that's why we turned our backs on Microsoft Windows.

I am sorry to learn that you have had experienced problems after upgrades.

Well, but my experience is not like yours. I have upgraded my Ubuntu 3 times. First upgrade I did from CD as fresh install, no problem. Second (hardy to intrepid) I upgraded from update manager, and again no problem. I didn't lose any data or setting. The third upgrade (intrepid to Jaunty) I did again from CD as a fresh install, because I wanted to have a fresh start with ext4. I first experienced some trouble with firefox in Jaunty, but that was resolved soon, and since then no problem even with Jaunty. :D

Don1500
April 18th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Fiesty to Gusty to Hardy to Intrepid not one hicup since getting Fiesty set up right. Make sure your .iso is perfect, Make sure your hardware is right. Then install your system. I keep hearing about problems and the only thing I have is not being able to record audio off the net (or off anything.) I'm hoping that Jaunty will fix that. But I won't load that untill the stable release.

pbpersson
April 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
For someone who does not want to upgrade to new versions, they should stay strickly on LTS versions. Each LTS version is supported for three years. Then just before your LTS version expires, you jump on the new one which by that time is mature and realtively bug-free.

Now you are on 8.04 LTS. Your next version will be 10.04 LTS and then 12.04 LTS which comes out in April of 2012.

You will get all the exciting new features two years after the rest of us, but if you want to avoid upgrades, that would be the best choice.

Gael33
April 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
For someone who does not want to upgrade to new versions, they should stay strickly on LTS versions. Each LTS version is supported for three years. Then just before your LTS version expires, you jump on the new one which by that time is mature and realtively bug-free.

Now you are on 8.04 LTS. Your next version will be 10.04 LTS and then 12.04 LTS which comes out in April of 2012.

You will get all the exciting new features two years after the rest of us, but if you want to avoid upgrades, that would be the best choice.

It's not that I don't want to upgrade, it's that I can't handle the aggravation and the problems that arise from new upgrades. Interestingly, you mention "exciting new features." I see very little difference visually between 8.04 and 9.04, okay, there are probably many new tweaks operating in the background that are only of interest to the more technically minded users who like to play with the "shiny new toy".

For me, and I guess for many like me, all we want is something that is appealing on the eye, and an operating system that is safe and stable ... For me personally, I require a working tool, not a plaything. I would rather see more emphasis placed on software development that matches Microsoft than bringing out new (for many) troublesome OS upgrades every 6 months.

I notice that most of the replies have been from people who haven't had upgrade problems, yet from my own experience of reading blogs and message boards such as this one, more people experience problems than those few that don't. That is why I wait until most of the issues have been ironed out before I take the plunge and install / upgrade the OS ... it is for no other reason.