PDA

View Full Version : What email provider do you use and why?

Bodsda
April 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Title says it all

Cybie257
April 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Yahoo! Email

Why?:
Yahoo! has been around for years and have had the same email address(es) for 10-16 years. One of them was for about as long as Yahoo! has existed. So long ago, can't recall when they came to light.

I use some others, but not as my mainstream mail account. But, if Microsoft ever succeeds in buying Yahoo! out, then I will forward all (saved)emails in my box to my Google account and cancel my Yahoo! account(s). :-)

-Cybie

sekinto
April 18th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Gmail. Yahoo! Mail and Windows Live Mail are crap compared to it.

You want to know why?
No IMAP support, that's why.

durand
April 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I used to use hotmail and yahoo when I had no idea what emails actually were. When gmail came out, I switched to that part time and when hotmail stopped supporting pop3, I switched to gmail full time. Not really sure why I stopped using yahoo. I guess one email address is enough...though I used to have at least 6 different ones at one point....

RiceMonster
April 18th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Gmail. Was using Hotmail a few years ago, and it sucked. Someone invited me to gmail (it was invite only then), and it didn't suck, so I've been using it since.

myusername
April 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM
gmail. i've tried everything else and its no contest

OutOfReach
April 18th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Gmail, pretty much the same exact story as RiceMonster (except the invite part, I created my gmail accound last year). I also love Gmail because there is no spam, I only got spam 1 time in the past 11 months of usage.

lisati
April 18th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I've had a hotmail account for about 10 years now, hardly ever use it.
Have some gmail accounts, hardly ever use them either.
The email account with my ISP is kind-of Yahoo (they teamed up with Yahoo a year or two back in preference to MSN: major hassles for many customers at the time during the change-over)
My other accounts (and I have several) are with Yahoo, mainly for interacting with mailing lists at Yahoo Groups (http://groups.yahoo.com) & a couple of web sites @ Geocities (http://www.geocities.com).

Joeb454
April 18th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I use Gmail, I've had the account since October 2005 :)

I use it to aggregate all of my email accounts too, so I can send FROM them as well as receive mail TO them. It just suits my needs perfectly :)

Newuser1111
April 18th, 2009, 01:11 AM
GMX, Not really any reason.

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Gmail. It groups all messages in threads just like this forum.

RiceMonster
April 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Gmail. It groups all messages in threads just like this forum.

Hotmail doesn't do that? Man that would be annoying!

samjh
April 18th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I use Gmail. I'm also trying out Yahoo Mail for some things, but Gmail seems better.

I used to use Hotmail, but the amount of spam was staggering. On one account, I was receiving over 90 spam emails a day.

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hotmail doesn't do that? Man that would be annoying!

I have used hotmail a decade ago, and it didn't. I still use the account to chat in MSN, so I can check it.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 18th, 2009, 03:01 AM
What is System76's email service like? Do they include IMAP support?

arsenic23
April 18th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I've had a hotmail account since the first week it existed, WAY before Microsoft bought it. I use it for signing up for stuff.

All of my actual email goes through a server owned by my workplace.

RPG Master
April 18th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I am just using my cable providers email service (Its the only place I could get rpgmaster@ as my email because its taken everywhere else) and check my mail with Evolution.

I never understood why everyone gets spam and I've never gotten spam once?

And is their any reason for me to switch to GMail?

-grubby
April 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Gmail. Because it doesn't suck like the others.

Bölvağur
April 18th, 2009, 03:36 AM
hotmail : junk mail and other things if I need to sign up for something but dont want their spam

gmail : send files to people, launchpad and such

my university mail for sending and receiving mail from other students. This one is the only really active one.

PacSci
April 18th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Gmail. I used to use Road Runner, but a 5MB inbox doesn't exactly sit well with me. When Gmail was just getting started, it seemed much better than any other mail provider. Now, I use it for two addresses and check them in Evolution.

I also have system mailboxes on Rockhopper and Adelie, my desktop and server. But I can't send mail from Adelie for some reason, so it's locally generated mail only.

Oh, and I have a mailbox at my college. It forwards directly into my primary Gmail account, though. I use it for academic business like e-mailing professors and opinion columnists. Other than that, it's not that great - still a 5MB inbox, and I never check it.

smartboyathome
April 18th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Gmail. I don't get any spam really, and everything just feels... right. ;)

Firestem4
April 18th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Gmail.

It is fast, good looking, easy and organized, lots of storage space.

And you don't have to deal with tons of picture ads that make the email so much slower...

mamamia88
April 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM
gmail and yahoo which my isp provides me with

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM
gmail, definitely.

full session encryption
labels
lots of storage
text ads instead of ridiculous flash based ones
fast
uncluttered
video chat

init1
April 18th, 2009, 05:58 AM
I use the one my gave me ISP most often, but I also have a Gmail account

amingv
April 18th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Gmail.
I used to use Hotmail (had an old account I didn't want to change), but I think they actually degraded themselves when they started with the Live(R) services. I mean, come on, they don't even support POP, SMTP or IMAP!

I do use MSN Messenger though (registered my gmail account in MS passport), mostly because most of my friends still use Hotmail.

bytor4232
April 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Gmail. IMAP support, plus it can manage all 8 of my mailboxes flawlessly in one single Inbox. Plus, storage I never have to worry about.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 08:49 AM
hotmail because i had it since...i don't know, since when @msn changed into @hotmail. and gmail in order to send bigger attachments

Mason Whitaker
April 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Gmail of course...no ads, spam, and I can send and receive mail from my Yahoo account as well.

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Gmail, by far.

1. It's easy to use.
2. It groups messages into "conversations."
3. It allows me to filter e-mail and label them by sender.
4. It includes chat. I don't use it, but it's nice that it's there.
5. I can color customize it.
6. I don't give into all the Gmail anti-privacy conspiracy theories.

tuskenraider
April 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
gmail.... i used to have yahoo and checked it via thunderbird and yahoopops aka ypops. but yahoo changed servers and the "new yahoo email" about a year and a half ago.. so i went Gmail. im very glad to yahoo that they changed everything because with out them i would have never known what i was missing.. gmail is the way to go...

pop access smtp access web based no adds no spam (unlike yahoo) chat on and on and on..... by far THE best email service around.

lethalfang
April 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Gmail.
When I started using Gmail in its relative infancy, its spam filter was vastly superior to any of its competitors, and that's the biggest reason I used it and stuck with it.

chriskin
April 18th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Gmail.
When I started using Gmail in its relative infancy, its spam filter was vastly superior to any of its competitors, and that's the biggest reason I used it and stuck with it.

that is true, if i manage to forget that out of three gmail accounts i have, one shows the paradox of having more than 10 spam emails per useful one, even though the others are totally clean :O

sports fan Matt
April 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Att.net./part of Yahoo. Comes with my ISP...When I move I may move to gmail, depending if I can get u-verse tv (im looking at that and Verizon FIOS

Phreaker
April 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I am on gmail
I never bothered to look at the other solutions

HavocXphere
April 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Gmail. The hotmail and yahoo spam filters are no where near as good as gmail's. In fact my hotmail account started getting spam *before* I started using it. i.e. Registered waited 1 week and it was already getting spammed. uggh

CraigPaleo
April 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Gmail. It was the only to offer pop at the time. I like to store my mail locally and use a local email client but it also offers web-based email for when I'm away. I didn't like having to change email addresses whenever I changed ISPs. That might have changed with the others but that's why I originally went with Gmail.

Gizenshya
April 18th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I checked all of them :p

I use my university email for university stuff, yahoo as my main email, hotmail for chatting, I don't use my gmail acocunts too much, don't know why. Then I have my beloved offshore email accounts that I use for file transfers. It really sucks that there isn't a decent email service in the US that supports sending files any bigger than single jpegs. If I want to sendan album, I have to compress and split to such an extent that I'm afraid I'll get carpel tunnel syndrome or something... but some of my preferred email accounts in other countries are far more reasonable.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I checked all of them :p

I use my university email for university stuff, yahoo as my main email, hotmail for chatting, I don't use my gmail acocunts too much, don't know why. Then I have my beloved offshore email accounts that I use for file transfers. It really sucks that there isn't a decent email service in the US that supports sending files any bigger than single jpegs. If I want to sendan album, I have to compress and split to such an extent that I'm afraid I'll get carpel tunnel syndrome or something... but some of my preferred email accounts in other countries are far more reasonable.

gmail supports 20MB attachments.

gn2
April 18th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I voted other, I have my own URL e-mail.

I got this after the e-mail provider I had used for years, Lycos, stopped their e-mail service.

ZarathustraDK
April 18th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Gmail for ordinary mail, Hotmail for spam and "register to access this content"-kind of sites.

Kopachris
April 18th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I use Gmail because I like to test things that are in beta. I've been using Gmail for a few years now, and am totally satisfied.

Chemical Imbalance
April 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Gmail. Best client I've ever used.

speedwell68
April 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Yahoo, just because I always have. I seldom send a lot of mails and it's pop3 access works well. I see no real need to change.

.Maleficus.
April 19th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Gmail. Plenty of storage for my spam, forum registration emails and Facebook updates.

JK3mp
April 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Wow...i feel like such the ordinary. Gmail here. I have 2 accts one for my personal and one for my freelance business. I DO have MSN acct but most for spam. Though i do like the new "cleaner" look of it... i still love gmail more.

Yvan300
April 19th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Gmail

Has this cozy feeling to it and 5 gb of storage space.
Don't delete your email, archive it :)

geoken
April 19th, 2009, 01:49 AM
The first Email I signed up for was hotmail but it completely sucked back then (even more than it does now). Back then most people I knew weren't on the internet and I didn't get a lot of emails. Hotmail would close your account if you didn't log in for x amount of time (it was 1 or 2 months IIRC).

I then moved to Yahoo and had pop access because it was linked to my ISP. So myname@yahoo and myname@myisp where the same account. This was good for a while but when Gmail came out the huge storage swayed me (at the time others where offering 20 or 50mb while Gmail was giving 1gb).

One of the biggest reasons I stayed with Gmail was the SMTP account they give you. Before Gmail I had to constantly change the settings in my mail client because the ISP's at home and work were different and they would only allow use of their SMTP address from their own network. Gmail's SMTP address solved this problem for me. Then they introduced IMAP, which blows everything away.

I currently have my own domain and email address but I still have my MX nameservers forwarded to Gmail and I use their hosted apps as my online mail interface.

caro
April 19th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I own my own domain and use that for most email.

However, I do have a yahoo! account and an email address from my ISP - I use those for junk mail.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
April 19th, 2009, 03:38 AM
GMail. Signed up back in November of 2004. Have never deleted an email (unless there was a reason....) and it included POP3 support, for free. Love it.

Scruffynerf
April 19th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Various

Home - my ISP's mail server.
Work - my work's mail server.
My main online sites that I frequent - GMail (which I collect at home generally)
Various other sites where I have to register something to see? Hotmail

Greg
April 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I made a GMail account back around the first round of invites for the beta, and haven't gone back since. I also have an email account at my own website.

Mister LinOx
April 19th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I've been using GMail since it first came out, about 4-5 years ago. I was lucky and my brother sent me an invite to it, since it was invite-only, and I liked it better than all of the mainstream clients at the time. I remember once I had my account there for so long, it started allowing me to invite people by giving me x amount of invites to send, so I started sending random people invites for it.

I actually think GMail might be coming out of Beta soon. xP

Wiebelhaus
April 19th, 2009, 05:22 AM
gmail. i've tried everything else and its no contest

I second this.

Gmail is the bomb hands down , I can do anything my techie heart desires and then some.