PDA

View Full Version : Bad News - Gates promises Windows everywhere

Titus A Duxass
January 5th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Gates promises Windows everywhere

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4583342.stm

Sef
January 5th, 2006, 02:32 PM
There's a big difference between promising and delivering. Windows Vista was originally promised to be released 2 or 3 years ago with a lot more features than is in it now.

tseliot
January 5th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Crackers will be happy :p (and have fun with the new Windows).

nocturn
January 5th, 2006, 02:41 PM
They'd better put the WMF exploit fix everywhere...

KingBahamut
January 5th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Not likely.

Minyaliel
January 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Oh go and bang your head into something, mr. Gates - I'll never use a Microsoft product ever. So there.

PatrickMay16
January 5th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Myself, I quite like Bill Gates. He's a cool guy. Though I'm not keen on the way Windows is going with DRM and junk like that, Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer are interesting people.

Deaf_Head
January 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
whoopdee .. like it isn't already.

jc87
January 5th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Politicians also promisse anything if you elect them:twisted:

raublekick
January 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Sounds kinda like what Sony was saying the PS3 would be a year or so ago. Well, now it's almost here and it's just going to be a gaming machine and that's it.

Even if it does go into "everything", how many people can afford to put a flat panel touchscreen TV in their kitchen? I sure as hell can't. And how many people will really care to get custom feeds? Sure, it would be cool, but you'd miss out on a ton of stuff (I'm thinking mostly news stuff).

anil_robo
January 5th, 2006, 06:54 PM
I hardly care whether it's Microsoft or anyone else, as long as the software is easy to use, does not crash, requires minimal maintenance and doesn't dig a hole in my pocket. But Microsoft will never make anything free, even charity! That's what makes me enbrace Ubuntu.

Lovechild
January 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Well I already have several windows in my house.. I don't need anymore Mr. Gates - and your OS will not touch my PC.

Lord Illidan
January 5th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Gates promises Windows everywhere but it won't be on my pc!

Gates is a cool guy and a darn clever one, and good for being at the right place in the right time.
But this statement has been being said a long, long time, and now I don't think he is going anywhere. Vista is getting out in 2006, its features already available in Linux and Mac OSX, Linux is making hits in the mobile market...hmm...I don't agree that it will be everywhere, though I do wish that Linux gets a stronger foothold in the desktop market.

towsonu2003
January 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM

ha ha

SteelValor
January 5th, 2006, 07:35 PM
pffttt he can't even produce me an Xbox 360

z-vet
January 5th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Well, M$'s dreams about world domination, as always.

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Bill Gates earlier promised to extend his vision and products towards everyday products. Nothing new here except maybe some vague launch / update -dates.

It's an interesting thing to discuss all his company plans. In a world which aims for more 'easy-to-use' products I'm wondering how far it will remain easy! Just hooking up everything to your computer and mobile phone won't make everything work easy, that's for sure. What I find interesting are these bottlenecks:

1. Information overload.
In a world where more and more goes digital I don't know if people are waiting for more bogus information from their vacuum cleaner swearing he has done every corner in the house. The information which is bodering you has to be critical or important. And what if you missed a message? Or you didn't log in from you vacaction holliday to check the messages?

2. Software.
Not only must the software be easy to use. It has to be easy from development to use. I don't much people will be glad with all this technology when for example their fridge has crashed and awaits a reboot... or lol... reinstall.
Also it would be hell to install management software on your already overloaded computer / mobile phone which is of course being created / edited by the fridge's manufacturer. Welcome to... 'sort it out hell.'

3. Functional use.
And what is this total assimilation of our kitchen pottery and furnitures going to bring us? Can I really receive a mute-setting overruling message that my house is being raided? Or do I have a new tamagotchi play-pal?

4. Costs.
And if the above reasons are not enough to make you think about it... the costs will. Unless the software is capable to learn from my behaviour and adept to it, I don't really why I should pay 500 dollars for a vacuum cleaner which 'avoids' corners. Or deciding to start cleaning while a full scale party is going in my house room.

Intel and Bill Gates have said (almost promised) that within ten years from now they will introduce total entertainment and managemant in all kinds of hardware and products. In my opinion they will be done thinking about how to screw up the first wave of hardworking families who decide to equip their home with Borg-like devices.

Pete051
January 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Not on my Machine :)

briancurtin
January 5th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Steve Ballmer are interesting people.
ballmer is pretty interesting. i love chair-throwing nutcases

FLeiXiuS
January 5th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Hasn't he said this before? Then didn't he go about suing a minor in a some African community for 'downloading' windows XP without paying for it..mainly beacuse it wasn't available in the country?

He can't keep up with his promises, so don't count on it.

I can't wait for the full release, thats when reverse engineering comes at arms!

Iandefor
January 5th, 2006, 10:09 PM
but it won't be on my pc!

Gates is a cool guy and a darn clever one, and good for being at the right place in the right time. More clever than you think. Won't you be surprised when you boot up your computer one day to find Windows Vista booting! :-D

SteelValor
January 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Steve Ballmer are interesting people.

http://www.flamingmailbox.com/maccomedy/movies/developers.html

ie: koo koo :shock: \\:D/