PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Iso as rar file

destro9
April 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I'm trying to install ubuntu 8.10 on my old laptop, but when I download the iso it comes as a rar file. I'm downloading it straight from the ubuntu.com, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the source. Any help?

kspncr
April 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
You need to unrar the file. I'm assuming that you're currently using windows? You can download the trial version of Winrar (I'm sure it will be the first thing to come up when you search for winrar) to unrar it and then you'll have your iso. Good luck!

destro9
April 17th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Yes I'm currently running windows xp and I already have winrar. How exactly do I go about unraring the file?

kspncr
April 18th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Just right click the file you want to unrar and choose "extract file here" from the menu. Winrar will unrar the file to the current directory.

EDIT: I should probably mention that a .rar file is just a compressed version of the original file that websites use to reduce traffic.

destro9
April 18th, 2009, 12:14 AM
When I extract the file all it does is put everything from the rar file in the place I extracted to. And there isn't an iso file in there anywhere.

When I read tutorials and stuff online it says it should just come as an iso file. I shouldn't have to be dealing with all this rar stuff so I'm not sure what the problem is.

trlkly
April 18th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I don't know what the problem is either. Try renaming the RAR file to an ISO, and see your CD burner treats it like a legitimate ISO.

If that doesn't work, go to Ubuntu Download Site (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) and pick a different download location.

If that's still not working, the following links should work to get the ISO. Pick the one that you need (probably the first one).

Ubuntu 8.10 (32 Bit) (http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso)
Ubuntu 8.10 (64 Bit) (http://ubuntu-releases.cs.umn.edu/intrepid/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-amd64.iso)

ddrichardson
April 18th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Are you sure it's a RAR and not that ISO is associated with WinRAR? If you download Infrarecorder (http://infrarecorder.org/?page_id=5) and open it through the program you should be OK.

inobe
April 18th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I'm trying to install ubuntu 8.10 on my old laptop, but when I download the iso it comes as a rar file. I'm downloading it straight from the ubuntu.com, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the source. Any help?

rar takes over however it's still an iso even if it appears to be archived.

just burn it as an image, use imgburn

Ticketoride
April 18th, 2009, 01:55 AM
When I extract the file all it does is put everything from the rar file in the place I extracted to. And there isn't an iso file in there anywhere.
If you accidentally hover over another RAR File in the same, or any previous Directory you were trying to save your ISO too, the suggested Download Filename will become that of the other "hovered over" File and you may well have caused the ISO to have become renamed. This can occur in both Windows & Linux, if your File Manager Behaviour is set to "Single Click to open Items".

Just rename the downloaded File back to ISO and burn. I haven't yet come across any Linux Images packed in RAR Formats from authorized Sources.

Are you sure it's a RAR and not that ISO is associated with WinRAR?
WinRAR will open both RAR & ISO Files and extract the Contents of either one. By default install, providing no other Application subsequently installed snatched up the ISO Extension, WinRAR will be associated with the ISO Format.

When I read tutorials and stuff online it says it should just come as an iso file. I shouldn't have to be dealing with all this rar stuff so I'm not sure what the problem is.
Rename your downloaded File to ISO. Don't click on the ISO File, but launch your CR-R Burning Application and load your ISO from within and burn. If in Fact the ISO/RAR File you downloaded extracted a Directory Structure & Files when you clicked on the RAR File, instead of just popping out the ISO, then I am pretty sure the ISO File accidentally got renamed to RAR.

destro9
April 18th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I did what you said and just burned the archive right to the disc. It worked thanks for the help.

trlkly
April 19th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Isn't it nice that you got not one but four different people who knew the solution? Gotta love a community like that!

inobe
April 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM
there is nothing to do, simply burn the iso as an image, browse for the iso from your burner and burn it, you burner will see an iso in the directory you browse to.

ddrichardson
April 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
there is nothing to do, simply burn the iso as an image, browse for the iso from your burner and burn it, you burner will see an iso in the directory you browse to.
Dude, in post #4 the OP said that this had worked ;-)