PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 32-bit vs. 64-bit which one should I use?

arashiko28
April 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Actually I don't know where to exactly post this, so here it goes.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y530, specs on my signature, and have confirmed that it's a 64-bit arquitecture. Now, I know it's capable of more, I'm very happy with the performance of Ubuntu on it and want to improve my experience, so for the upcoming version, which one should I use?

Taking into account that I'm not an IT, I'm a doctor, so I need a fast and reliable system with the highest compatibility of softwares and ready to use (ehhe, that's Ubuntu :P)

But what are the main differences between both that draws the gasp?
Which one will be more up to my needs?
I only have a week to adapt, so can't be installing and trying, I need help from someone who has tried both versions ;)

That way I can keep enrolling people into Linux world:D

JoePits
April 17th, 2009, 11:40 PM
coming from one who's used both, i would go with 32 bit (using it now). 64 bit has to use a flash plugin wrapper that makes flash stuff slow and buggy.

trlkly
April 18th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I agree. To have the least amount of problems, stick with the 32-bit version. There are just too many times when you have to do something special to get a program to work.

zvacet
April 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM
There is no reason not to use 32-bit if you have less then 4 GB of RAM.If you have 4 or more GB of RAM then 64 can be smart choice even you can manage to run 32-bit with +4 GB of RAM.

Cybie257
April 18th, 2009, 01:46 AM
For a noobie, I would suggest 32-bit myself. I'm using 64-bit, but I know how to do things manually, or find the resources to help me through things I don't already know.

-Cybie

lisati
April 18th, 2009, 01:52 AM
For a noobie, I would suggest 32-bit myself. I'm using 64-bit, but I know how to do things manually, or find the resources to help me through things I don't already know.

-Cybie

Ditto.

oldos2er
April 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
coming from one who's used both, i would go with 32 bit (using it now). 64 bit has to use a flash plugin wrapper that makes flash stuff slow and buggy.

64-bit Flash has been available for a few months now. It's alpha software, but for me it's been very stable.

More info is to be had in the x86_64 subforum.

arashiko28
April 20th, 2009, 02:09 AM
It's not like I'm that of a noob,it's just that I knew there were things a bit harder to get working on 64 bit but didn't knew if that had changed.
Even if it is less than 4GB the laptop is 64bit, that was the vista version that came with it. Gladly, I got rid of it :)

theozzlives
April 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I ran 64 bit Intrepid for awhile, but got tired of it telling me a piece of software was 32 bit and wouldn't install. So I went back to 32, but I only have 2 GB RAM.

izizzle
April 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I use 64-bit and like it very much. It's noticeably faster at processing information and, if your hardware supports the technology, then why not have the latest and greatest? BTW, I did not encounter many problems, and the difficulties with Flash don't bother me.