PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation Advice Needed

gwales
April 17th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I have a new Windows Visa laptop with 2 320 Gb hard drives.

The windows system disk (bootable) already has 4 partitions and I have shrunk the main system partition to create 46Gb of unallocated space. I can't do anything with this since I have 4 primaries already.

What would be the best strategy to achieve a dual boot set up?

Back up one of the data carrying primaries and make it extended?

All advice appreciated!

Gary

lisati
April 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Back up one of the data carrying primaries and make it extended?

I'm inclined to think along similar lines to you on this one, with making a backup (always a good idea when tinkering with partitions) and changing one partition to an extended one.

I'm not sure if the Ubuntu installer will take care of this automatically for you if you choose the "guided: use the largest contiguous/continuous free space" option, maybe other users can fill us in.

arashiko28
April 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
I think it's better if you go manually that way you can choose the partition without a chance of error.
Now, if you choose guided, you're allowed to toggle the division bar, and adjust the amount of space you want or need.
Always backup, things can go perfectly fine or stupidly wrong.

zvacet
April 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I can't do anything with this since I have 4 primaries already.

Yes,you can.from unallocated space make extended partition and then you can make logical partition inside extended one.You may wish to download Gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) to do that.After that choose manual way to install Ubuntu.