PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Command Line

Lizzzzzzz
April 17th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Umm, hello. . .I've just installed Ubuntu &am looking forward to learning to operate the program. I've downloaded, burnt it to a disk, and installed it. I also have Windows XP on the hard drive.
I asked a friend with experience what was wrong with this- when I select to run from Ubuntu, it takes me to the command line. . .which I can't seem to get past, as my friend calls it. He says it should be starting windowsmanager, which it is not. . .I'm quite experienced with Windows, but fail here in that I don't know what windowsmanager is or how to work it. Has anyone else experienced similar problems or know how to get past it? Help would be fantastic. . .for now I'm gonna' keep trying commands in the help list and searching other forums/faqs.

homemadejam
April 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Hey :)
Have you tried the command:

startx
If it works, there you go ^^
If not, please could post here what the output message is?

Jam

zvacet
April 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Did you by mistake download server version of Ubuntu?Server version comes without GUI.

Lizzzzzzz
April 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Somehow I got it to work without the command line coming up. . . I really have no idea what I did, though. I don't think I did anything different. But now I'm stuck at the username/password screen. . .I haven't created a username/password, and can't figure out how to get on; as a few things that I tried came back as invalid. Does anyone know how to get through that?
Thanks for your help with the first problem!

BoneSaw
April 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM
when you installed it should have asked you to create a username and password. that is what you would use to sign on.

Lizzzzzzz
April 18th, 2009, 03:45 AM
hmm. . .something like that happened, but while on the Windows Desktop, before rebooting to run in Ubuntu. . .I did make a name and password, and tried using those, but they keep coming up as invalid. Is there any way to create another name/password? Thanks again for the help. . .

Don1500
April 18th, 2009, 07:07 AM
re - install

Once you screw the passwords reinstall is about all you can do. It's best to do it now, before you get all set up. Also you'll probably spend more time frutzing about trying to fix a bad password that it will take to reinstall.

zvacet
April 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
@ Lizzzzzzz

Maybe this (http://mwendariungu.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/how-to-change-password-in-ubuntu-704-pc-edition-with-dual-boot-win-xp-pro/) can be helpful to you.

glotz
April 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Boot and select safe-mode, that makes you super user. Then just input passwd <yourusername>

Lizzzzzzz
April 18th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all your help, guys! I've reinstalled Ubuntu. . .only to find out that what I was doing wrong was capitalizing the first letter of the username. . . I didn't realize the usernames were case-sensitive as well as the passwords!
Now I'm having difficulty getting connected to the internet. . .I'm using a wireless card that is supposed to be supported and have the driver included in Ubuntu. Ubuntu is detecting the hardware, but reporting it as disabled and I can't figure out how to enable it to connect to the wireless network running through the house. The card is functional; it is constantly connected to the wireless network when I'm on Windows on this computer. Anyone know what to do? I've tried a number of things that are in the documentation and am continuing to search this and other websites for help. . . Thank you in advance

zvacet
April 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
If you give as more information about your card then you can expect more help.Other way to solve that problem is to look in Networking & Wireless (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=336) subforum.