PDA

View Full Version : Dev-C++ for Linux

macdonald
April 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I have just started using Ubuntu 8.10. I searched an IDE to write and compile c++ programs. I had been using Bloodshed dev-c++ in windows and read in many posts that it can also be used in Linux. But everybody looked confused whether it will work or not.
Please tell me where to download dev-c++ installation program and how to install it ( I am a newbie ).
If it is not possible to install dev-c++ then please suggest another IDE (one which is easy to use like dev-c++).
Thanks in advance.

stevescripts
April 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Do the stickies not contain the info you need?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006662

Yacoby
April 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM
You could take a look at Code::Blocks

h4desz
April 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
As far as I know Dev c++ hasn't got native support for linux, so you'd be better with another IDE.
I would recommend you using Code::Blocks, in my oppinion it is even better than Dev c++.

huwnet
April 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Doesn't Dev C++ use MinGW as standard? Therefore most Linux IDEs using GCC should do what you want.

cmay
April 17th, 2009, 08:23 PM
there is a native build of devc++ for linux. it is actually rewritten for linux. found on their official download page.

but i could never get any luck into installing it on several distros and when it finally worked it was simply too buggy and was not worth the time and effort to use. it was not the same "look and feel" as the windows version eihter so i reccomend to check out the stickies for another IDE.

macdonald
April 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks a lot for your advice.
I didn't notice the sticky thread on programming. Its very well written. I have downloaded Code::Block and Eclipse both for comparision.

CptPicard
April 18th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Another possibility is Netbeans, I quite like it's C/C++ support these days. Besides it's a great IDE for a lot of other stuff too.