PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making the switch - Software/Hardware Installation Worries

vhenry
April 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I've had Ubuntu Intrepid installed via wubi for a month or so and am hooked. I'm ready to take the plunge, yet there are still a few nagging questions. I'd like to run Intrepid, with Windows in a vm using virtualbox. Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/reassurances about these issues:

1. Dreamweaver CS3. I'd be devastated if I wiped Windows and found it didn't work. Also, Photoshop, Illustrator & Flash.
2. Also run several browsers for testing: IE, Safari, Chrome - will these work ok?
3. Is there something comparable to Windows Media player? popped in a DVD yesterday in Ubuntu and the default media player showed garbly goop.
4. I also use Skype quite a bit and understand there's a linux version, work ok?
5. Finally, understand there may be some issues accessing my wireless internet connection in virtual box - that would definitely be a prob.

So essentially, I need my apps to run in either natively in
Ubuntu, or with Virtual box - or wine, with little/no performance degradation and not sure which solution will work best or if I'm stuck with Windows.

Thanks for asking and for any advice/assistance,

Veronica

tamas305
April 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
This is no chrome or safari but there is opera and firefox definitely. They are better anyway.

-tamas

Therion
April 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Before I give you a longer, more considered answer, let me say it sounds to me as if what you really want to do is... Well... Use Windows.

No offense intended, but seriously; if you're only going to install Ubuntu so you can then turn around and install VirtualBox so you can install Windows so you can access all your Windows applications, I'm not sure why you want to install Ubuntu to begin with.

Understand where I'm coming from when I say all this. I'm as big a fan of Linux, Ubuntu and all the rest, as anybody. But I'm wondering what it is, exactly, that Ubuntu is going to do for you, what itch it's going to scratch, that Windows isn't? There are alternatives to the applications you rattle off, and yes using VirtualBox is an option, but isn't that really a bit self-defeating? It's entirely possible I'm simply missing the point of your wanting to switch, but I don't really see any advantage in trying to persuade someone to use Ubuntu if, in the long run, it's not going to be a stable, working, relationship.

Windsurfer619
April 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Dreamweaver won't work. There's nothing like it on Linux. That being said, a lot of people think that the tools in Ubuntu are much better than Dreamweaver. Frankly, I would take gedit over Dreamweaver.

kforum
April 17th, 2009, 06:54 PM
ok, first...
form a personal experience, dont orry too much about the proprietary blob software you used before, with time you may find opensource replacements that may well be even superior to the ones you used before(although obviously, different).

also, WMplayer is my definition of crap, cant believe you use that.
in linux as in windows, there are many alternatives, i would recommend VLC, check the media section of the forums, it has a great stick on how t install everything media you need, including VLC.

also, skype is great on linux, with the camera working and all ;).
AND i belive wine may be a better solution the VB but you may find it not to be...

any further questions please ask, open source has been great to me, but as with everything in life, it takes time to learn this and that.(specially when you`re already used to something)

good luck.

kforum
April 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Dreamweaver won't work. There's nothing like it on Linux. That being said, a lot of people think that the tools in Ubuntu are much better than Dreamweaver. Frankly, I would take gedit over Dreamweaver.

thats not true there are graphical tools like dreamweaver, and although C3 may not work other dreamweaver versions run flawlessly i hear...

im no expert here, but i do recall a bit of a list somewhere, even in this forum of such alternatives, do a bit of search on such things and you`ll find your alternatives and guides on getting it running(getting dreamweaver running).

another hint that i can give, and why i quoted the reply...

take everything in these forums with a grain of salt, there are always more knowledgeable places in the linux world then ubuntu... keep digging.

cheers

vhenry
April 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks all for the speedy replies. I did check for that software alternatives list and see that there are some really viable alternatives for my web development stuff, I just wanted to hang on to Dreamweaver while I learn - so I didn't have to quit cold turkey, so to speak. Not so sure about Photoshop and Flash alternatives though - thus the need for a vm or wine install, and hope there were some with experience here.

As for the reason why I want linux - all the obvious ones: i love technology and tinkering, i want stability and security, i love the idea of open source software - and heck, it feels cool to be part of the linux community to boot.

With that said, the other half of my software already runs in linux: openoffice, aptana, netbeans, picasa, thunderbird, ruby, etc.

kforum
April 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
ask in the multimedia forums or in forums like linuxquestions.org,
as i`ve said there are lists around of viable alternatives.
honestly i keep learning about new and great software that comes out or that came out over a few years ago and that was just what i was looking for...

as for web-dev i`ve used something called nvu or whatnot i think, it was ok. people say there are better ones... but honestly like i said... with time you`ll find your ways around things.

good luck with linux in general, and remember that ubuntu is only one of them, keep your mind open.

cheers.

ahbart
April 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
5. Finally, understand there may be some issues accessing my wireless internet connection in virtual box - that would definitely be a prob.

This is not a problem at all. Windows in a Virtual box won't even see the wireless card! And it doesn't have to. Virtualbox will offer a networkcard to windows. The virtual card is, say, linked to the real wireless internet connection.

DJonsson2008
April 17th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Its not an either or situation for me, I use both windows and Ubuntu at the same desk on different machines. They both have advantages, it may
be a few years if ever that I phase out Windows all together.

Macromedia's has some slick tools, and that is where the dividing
line rests for me between Windows and Ubuntu, sure you can edit html
with gedit, but Dreamweaver does provide some leverage and the workflow
with audio and video of Macromedia tools is hard to match, If I had the
cash I'd buy a Mac for tooling up with Macromedia. If I had the time I'd perhaps modify existing Ubuntu / Linux programs to achive the same end
results, but who knows how many man months that would take.

kforum
April 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
as i`ve said there ARE alternatives... here is one for html editing for instance.
http://www.net2.com/nvu/
there are more i believe,
and on multimedia there are MANY out there, from track editors to full composing editors, even ones that pile up to supplementing portable studios.

search-is-the-key-to-life.

cheers

Windsurfer619
April 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
thats not true there are graphical tools like dreamweaver, and although C3 may not work other dreamweaver versions run flawlessly i hear...

Most people like having the "preview" ability of dreamweaver. I have yet to find one that actually does that equivalently well. Nvu and Kompozer are okay, but pretty buggy.

However, I much prefer using code and previewing in an actual browser window, thankyouverymuch.

Mark Phelps
April 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM
If you want to get an idea ahead of time regarding how well your MS Windows apps will run in Wine, check out the CodeWeavers site below for your apps and versions.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

This way you'll know in advance which apps you will need for find replacements for in Linux.

vhenry
April 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks all, I think there are probably alternatives, though yes, I've grown used to the preview functionality in Dreamweaver. I guess the best thing to do is dive in, make the switch and take the time to learn and adopt one of the alternatives if wine or vb doesn't cut it.