PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for having your own site, blog

ade234uk
April 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Running your own sites blogs, at the start you cant leave it alone. You keep going back making improvements checking stats every second of the day, but do you ever sit back and think what the point of it all is. If your getting hardly any visitors why do you continue?

I have seen so many users start a new site, then after 2-3 months they never go back to it or update it and it just sits there doing nothing.

I think the key to a successful site is to not let it take over your life and keep adding building content to it every so often when and where you feel like it.

Depressed Man
April 17th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I'm one of those people who abandon sites after making them. Honestly it's hard to keep up with them (even sites like Facebook, MySpace, journal sites, etc..). I have a blog myself right now but I update it whenever I remember (helps that I have my n800 to do the typing and uploading from as well).

Mehall
April 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I run my site and my blog.

My blog is regularly updated (which is why i moved it from blogger to self-hositng it) and my site would be updated more frequently if I had anything to put ON it right now.

amingv
April 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I did create a wordpress blog. The purpose I had in mind was first to have a place where I could make practical tests of (yet to be acquired) PHP knowledge. The secondary purpose was to publicate computer/technology/security entries that might be interesting to someone (and which in turn would support the primary goal), unfortunately the project is temporally in hiatus.

But there's lots of people with interesting blogs/websites, you just need a good eye to fan out the rest.

pastalavista
April 17th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Sometimes it's just nice to get things off your chest

SomeGuyDude
April 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I run a political blog. I try to average 3 articles a day, since January of 2006 I've written (at last count) 2,579. Got over a hundred subscribers, daily traffic in the area of 1,100 unique visitors, but that can waver by a couple hundred depending on the day.

I do it because I'm a political nut and am self-deluded enough to think my thoughts are worth reading. Apparently some people agree. :p

Therion
April 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I'm not sufficiently self-absorbed to have a Blog.

/Obvious troll?
//Obvious troll is trolling...
///I'm kidding. Seriously, I am...

Copernicus1234
April 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Very few sites on the Internet are worth coming back to often. I think my total bookmark list is about 50 bookmarks and I only check out about 15 every day.

Blogs... are usually only interesting if you learn something you didnt know before by visiting them. I dont care for personal blogs because peoples opinions about stuff in their lives is not that interesting to me.

People do blogs because they want to get a good visitor count. This translates into feeding the ego, but sometimes also feeding the wallet for a few of them. :) For most, they get tired of it when they dont get much attention. They go elsewhere to feed the ego. Like the pub. :)

XubuRoxMySox
April 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have one, they're fun! Especially if you participate in a wider community of people who share your interests, and we find each other through our blogs! Using blog rings or blog groups or blog categories, technori tags, etc. I've learned quite a bit about subjects that interest me just by reading other people's blogs - especially the really well-documented ones.

-Robin

kellemes
April 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I tend to spend a lot of time on my own website, developing and tweaking performance. I always forget about creating content.
So except for a bunch of bots I am basically the only visitor.

inobe
April 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM
most blogs i ever read seemed over opinionated and lacked factual evidence' almost like fox news.

Barrucadu
April 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have both a normal site and a blog. My site contains fairly static content (the most rapidly changing bit the dot files and gallery pages), so that doesn't get updated very often. I don't often post on my blog, I do know of a few people that have subscribed however. I put my thoughts on software, books, distros (et cetera) on there in the possibility someone may find it helpful at some point.

ddrichardson
April 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Ubuntu members are entitled to have their blogs syndicated on Planet Ubuntu (http://planet.ubuntu.com/). Its quite a handy method for reaching a wider audience than development/project specific mailing lists especially for smaller snippets such as patches and hacks.

0per4t0r
April 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I made a few sites, 1 blog, and a few forums, but none of them ever got many members or views. :(

ddrichardson
April 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I made a few sites, 1 blog, and a few forums, but none of them ever got many members or views. :(
Even if the content is right, without a good appreciation of Search Engine Optimisztion (SEO) you don't get many people finding the site.
With blogs it can be a little easier - as long as you post on other's blogs, leave comments and so on then you can generate a fair amount of traffic.

ssdt
April 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I can write down my thoughts and other methods that I see everyday. This is why I have a blog in Blogger.com which was first in Wordpress.com but I swiched it.

Ms_Angel_D
April 17th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I have been writing in general since I was about 11 years old (wow I just realized that was over 20 yrs ago :o) , I don't consider myself to be a great communicator verbally, so writing has always been my outlet of choice. I don't care if anybody reads my blog, but apparently some people do read it, I just like having a way to express myself.

beercz
April 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I have a site but not a blog.

I use the site to advertise my services. It is updated regularly.

lisati
April 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I have a couple of sites with Yahoo's geocities (http://www.geocities.com) that I originally set up for making information available about a couple of interests I have. Lately about the only updates I've made are to include a FAQ page for scammers which say, in effect, "Mind your own business about my bank account details: you can send me the gazillions of money you are pretending to have via PayPal. Do your homework first about my address and phone number: they're readily available via online copies of the phone book. Mind your own business about my love life."