PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] New install, first login, blue screen <> login cmd

Simon62
April 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Hi,
My first install.
IBM T21, 128MB RAM

Alternate install seemed OK. On first reboot all seemed well but got a repeating blue screen with a spinning flower.

Rebooted into recover mode - got the same thing but with a lot more text to be seen between the blue screen/spinning flower.
It is waiting for a login name and password - but before I can enter it loads the blue screen/flower again.
Each cycle is about 90 seconds and I can enter a couple of characters each cycle. Userid goes in OK but on the password I get a timeout error before I can enter all the characters.

If I drop to root I seem to be able to do anything (but I don't know what to do next).
I can login as Username without problem.

Any suggestions?
Simon

upchucky
April 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I have seen this only once, a network card was causing a login cycle, i removed the card and it was fine, added the card and hadda do some hocus pocus to get the card working, was a very long time ago and do not remember what I did. it is possible that usb devices can do this also, try removing any devices that are not needed right away then reboot. work on setting up each device one at a time until each is working.

omardrater
December 2nd, 2009, 05:51 PM
I just installed xubuntu on 12" PowerBook G4 - had the same problem upon logging in (blue screen with mouse). As suggested, I removed the network card (Airport Extreme), and I was able to reach the desktop. Now all I need to do is figure out how to reintegrate the wireless card...