PDA

View Full Version : Quoting the spam

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I hate spammers! Recently I've noticed that when ever a spam is posted a user with a 0, or really low post count, will immediately quote the spam, thus locking the spam in place. Am I nuts, or does it not seem like a conspiracy to keep the spam there? I would urge all forum users to refrain from quoting the spam. It is very counterproductive. If you see spam hit the report button, not the quote button.

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
duplicate

richg
April 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Linux forums have clueless also.

The real issue concerning spam is all the clueless PC users who contribute to spam by not protecting their PCs. There are literally thousands of Windows 'Bot PCs contributing spam.
MS has a lot to answer for.

Don't believe me, Search Google for bot pcs.

Rich

ddrichardson
April 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Linux forums have clueless also.

The real issue concerning spam is all the clueless PC users who contribute to spam by not protecting their PCs. There are literally thousands of Windows 'Bot PCs contributing spam.
MS has a lot to answer for.

Don't believe me, Search Google for bot pcs.

Rich
In fairness, unsecured web servers seem to generate the majority of spam that hits my web pages. This could be good filtering on mail servers though so YMMV.

If half these web sites answered their flaming contact addresses then they could do something about it.

Comment spam is just plain irritating.

Mehall
April 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
In fairness, unsecured web servers seem to generate the majority of spam that hits my web pages. This could be good filtering on mail servers though so YMMV.

If half these web sites answered their flaming contact addresses then they could do something about it.

Comment spam is just plain irritating.

Thankfully Akismet on Wordpress is very very good at it's job.

ddrichardson
April 17th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yes Akismet is good, can't complain there.