PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Difference Between 8.04 and 9.04

teejay17
April 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
What is the difference, or what will be the difference, between Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04?
What are the advantages of upgrading/installing this version over the longer supported 8.04 version?
Should I even bother?

OrangeCrate
April 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
What is the difference, or what will be the difference, between Ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04?
What are the advantages of upgrading/installing this version over the longer supported 8.04 version?
Should I even bother?

I wouldn't bother, unless you find the release notes of each version, and compare the versions, to see if there's anything you want in 9.04, that 8.04 won't provide. 8.04 is LTS, and is very solid, and dependable.

teejay17
April 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't bother, unless you find the release notes of each version, and compare the versions, to see if there's anything you want in 9.04, that 8.04 won't provide. 8.04 is LTS, and is very solid, and dependable.
Okay, that is good to know. If i'm interested in long-term stability over performance, I should continue using/installing 8.04.

Windsurfer619
April 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Yes. On top of that, you would have to install intrepid before you can get to jaunty. If you wait for the next long-term support release, you'll be able to upgrade directly to it.

mc6415
April 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
From what I've been reading the main differences seem to speed, and the ability to now use ext4 filesystems.

snowpine
April 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I agree that you should stick with 8.04 if it meets your needs.

The main difference is one year of development. 9.04 Jaunty has newer versions of just about everything. It's up to you to decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. :)

xfran
April 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
BTW, When will be the next LTS version?

Sef
April 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
BTW, When will be the next LTS version?
Probably April 2010; however, it may be delayed until October.

powerpleb
April 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
I'm eager for 9.04, mainly because the new kernel will mean Ubuntu recognizes my laptop's wireless straight out of the box.
So yes, sometimes there are big advantages to new releases.

Other than that, it's still orange, gray and brown and still has mostly the same apps.

javyn999
April 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I thought Jaunty WAS the next long term stable release?

snowpine
April 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
I thought Jaunty WAS the next long term stable release?

Jaunty is a standard release, which means it will be supported for 18 months.

barney385
April 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Will I be able to dump Evolution?

That's the main reason I'm downloading it.

I've been hoping to be able to do this, and I've heard it is possible to completely remove Evolution with Jaunty.

rifazmohamme
July 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM
presently 9.04 is quite stable.but there are hardware compatibalities with new laptops like dell studio 1555

n yea next lts is 10.04

pink_bullets.PL
September 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
i just installed jaunty last night and im kinda disappointed. nothing changed except some little graphical details.
thank god my set ups didnt change with installation of new version. everything that i set up in my 8.04 stayed untouched.

SunnyRabbiera
September 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
i just installed jaunty last night and im kinda disappointed. nothing changed except some little graphical details.
thank god my set ups didnt change with installation of new version. everything that i set up in my 8.04 stayed untouched.

Well the differences between versions is not meant to be "oh wow, holy crap this thing is supah awesome"
Its more like "lets see if part A and part B work, and hope those who had had issues with part C before might have better luck"
Ubuntu does not equate to XP vs Vista vs Win7

v1nsai
September 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I'm coming back to Ubuntu after spending some time on Debian 5.03 and finding that it's really not much more stable, but uses old as dirt software that has been tested and declared "stable". I'm thinking some of my hardware just doens't get along with Linux, I always have lots of weird problems no matter what distro I'm using.

Anyway, so 8.04 would be more stable than 9.04 overall?

snowpine
September 13th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Anyway, so 8.04 would be more stable than 9.04 overall?

Yes, for one simple reason: Most of its packages are one year older, therefore have had 12 more months of bug fixes and security patches. In other words, 8.04 is "old as dirt" just like Debian stable. :)

v1nsai
September 14th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I'm beginning to get the picture here. At one of the spectrum is stability, and at the other is the bleeding edge software -_-

I'm posting this from 8.04 right now, trying to decide if I'm going to stay here or give Debian Lenny another go (I was getting weird errors that I'm going to chalk up to a bad install and burn a new image)

I'm gonna be buying a laptop soon, what's a good place to go to determine linux compatibility? With all the stability problems I've had in all the Linux distros I've tried I'm starting to wonder if my hardware just doesn't fully cooperate. I built this system on a budget you might say ;)

tripaam
September 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
if Ubuntu9.04 is more prefect in context switching between the processes than ubuntu8.04.

I found my applications are being slower in ubutnu9.04. Is it true?

v1nsai
September 17th, 2009, 06:24 PM
if Ubuntu9.04 is more prefect in context switching between the processes than ubuntu8.04.

I found my applications are being slower in ubutnu9.04. Is it true?

I don't understand what you mean. Basically, unless the entire OS crashes it's not that Ubuntu 9.04 or 8.04 are more stable, it's that the PROGRAMS that you get from the repos are more stable in the older version, because they've been tested and updated and fixed more. I'll be using 8.04 for a while, I'm really enjoying the stability :)

RJARRRPCGP
September 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM
The Debian Lenny installation has a minor bug, you always get a segfault error message when the installer is preparing to reboot, when done installing.

It looks like one of the programs crash on closing, when ready to reboot.

v1nsai
September 18th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I heard Debian was rock stable and after using it about a week I did not find that to be the case with me. Some of the software was so old it didn't work because of an update (like pidgin not being able to connect to MSN) and I encountered many other small bugs that had me installing Ubuntu again a week later (I love having /home on a separate partition :-D )

Ubuntu 8.04 has been really stable so far, I was using 9.04 before I switched to Debian, and actually Debian 5.03 and Ubuntu 8.04 are using the same version of GNOME, and a lot of the software in the repo is of the same version in both too, but Ubuntu releases are based on Debian aren't they?

NoFriends
September 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks Everyone, just readin through the posts to pick up on the differences. cheers :)

aditya.gnu
September 18th, 2009, 09:57 AM
if anyone of your guys have installed 9.04 ie Jaunty on desktop or a Laptop, you might have have noticed how fast it gets booted..that is one major difference whiat i feel in 9.04 to other Ubuntu distributions.

Aditya.

rmeske
September 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I installed Ubuntu 8.04 because it is the current LTS release and have had mostly good luck with it on two Thinkpad laptops. Wireless connectivity seems to be a bit unstable. I have one laptop that loses the passkey for a wireless network at every ip renewal. But that is only an issue if I leave it running for 24 hours instead of shutting down and restarting.

I just bought a new laptop and will also be install Ubuntu 8.04 because it does seem to just work.

snowpine
September 18th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I heard Debian was rock stable and after using it about a week I did not find that to be the case with me. Some of the software was so old it didn't work because of an update (like pidgin not being able to connect to MSN) and I encountered many other small bugs that had me installing Ubuntu again a week later (I love having /home on a separate partition :-D )

Ubuntu 8.04 has been really stable so far, I was using 9.04 before I switched to Debian, and actually Debian 5.03 and Ubuntu 8.04 are using the same version of GNOME, and a lot of the software in the repo is of the same version in both too, but Ubuntu releases are based on Debian aren't they?

Yes, Debian Stable uses older software. It is supposed to by design; older applications have been tested for longer and are more stable. Not being able to connect to MSN is not an instability; it is a missing feature.

Ubuntu is based on the "Sid" or "unstable" branch of Debian. If it were based on Debian stable, its apps would be older than old. :)

trixman
September 18th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Should I even bother?

i have been using Ubuntu 8.04 for about 16 months and so far it is rock solid. I was a windows convert and began my Ubuntu use via the WUBI method and was quite happy with that for awhile, and then i went the 100% Ubuntu way and have not looked back since.

so far Ubuntu 8.04 gets 4 stars

tripaam
October 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi, I found ubuntu8.04 is much more stable and gives 100% good performance using XFS than ext4 in ubunt9.04.

But when i changed my motherboard with ICH10 chipset i can;t install ubuntu8.04. but Ubuntu9.04 is working fine.

please help me to install ubuntu8.04 with ICH 10 chipset.