PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] first things first

miltk
April 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM
i am absolutely brand new to linux ubuntu.

i am not familiar with any linux jargon.

anyway,,,when i start a brand new windows OS the first thing i do is change windows' appearance to make everything easy for me to read.

so,,,,,everything in ubuntu AND EEEBUNTU (especially) is SO TINY. the fonts are small, the panel are small, and to be honest i can barely see anything.

can i change the desktop enviroment? enlarge the panels enlarge the windows, the fonts,,everything actually?

thanks

_Purple_
April 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
You can go to System > Preferences > Appearance and change them.

UbuntuNerd
April 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
To change the default Ubuntu font and font size go to System->Preferences->Font you can also change the size of the panel by right clicking on it and go up or down on the pixel numbers

Ticketoride
April 17th, 2009, 03:34 PM
can i change the desktop enviroment? enlarge the panels enlarge the windows, the fonts,,everything actually?
Sounds like you want to have everything enlarged, then you might as well adjust your Screen Resolution.

System ---> Preferences ---> Display

Under 9.04 ... Top Panel Menu Bar, note a round Blue Icon with a white Figure Arms outstretched.

That's your "Universal Access Preference".

Click and select "Make Text larger and easier to read", which also makes the Menus and Title Bars a little larger.

miltk
April 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
thanks guys

I'M AN IDIOT!

i was in preferences but i think i was so overwhelmed by my first time in ubuntu that i didn't see the font tab, etc!!!! either that or everything was too small for me to see.

thx again

Jenkins1
April 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
go Systems > preferences > Appearance ( and click it)
A window should pop up and the tab third from the right should read "fonts" just click that.

jungleexplorer
April 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I know exactly what you mean. There are two things you can do. Change your screen resolution or increase the size of your font. To change your screen resolution click on System, then go to Preferences and go down to Screen Resolution. You might have to try several resolutions to find own that suits you. To change the size of fonts, click on system, go to Preferences and go down to Appearance. Once the Appearance window comes up click on the font tab at the top. There are 5 categories of fonts and you can adjust each one by click on that category. Hope this helps.

P.S. These instructions apply to Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop 32 bit. I have never used any other so I don't know if they are different.