PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Research - How old are you?

dilomo
April 17th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm starting a series of polls that are required to better understand who is using Gnome, what they need and what should be implemented in the big release Gnome 3.0

In this poll I want to learn about the age of our users.

itsStephen
April 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM

I'll be using Gnome in 6 days. I'm switching from Kubuntu to Ubuntu once 9.04 is released.

joeval
April 17th, 2009, 11:33 AM
19, just upgrading to Ubuntu today!

dilomo
April 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
19, just upgrading to Ubuntu today!

I forgot to tell I'm 20.

spcwingo
April 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I'm 29 and have been using Ubuntu and Gnome roughly 9 months.

damis648
April 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
14, been using Linux for a few years, Ubuntu & Gnome for the last year and a half.:popcorn: I was using KDE before that.

dilomo
April 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
14, been using Linux for a few years, Ubuntu & Gnome for the last year and a half.:popcorn: I was using KDE before that.
How do you find Gnome - easier to use than KDE and Windows?

.Maleficus.
April 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'm 17. Been a Linux user since Ubuntu 6.06 and a Gnome user for a good majority of that time. I tried out Xfce for a couple months, used KDE 4.1 for a couple of months and have most recently been using dwm.

jespdj
April 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Can you explain in what way a simple "how old are you" poll is going to help you in making GNOME 3.0 better?

spcwingo
April 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM
How do you find Gnome - easier to use than KDE and Windows?

Coming from Win I tried KDE and really gave it a fair shot, but after some use I discovered that I loathe KDE. It's way too resource hungry and complicated. There is one reason I stick with Gnome...KISS. For those who don't know what this stands for it's "Keep It Simple Stupid". Gnome seems to follow this method of development, so I stick with it.

joshdudeha
April 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I'm 14 and have used Linux since I was like 11 / 12. Have always preferred GNOME over KDE.
I think it is easier, and seems more professional than KDE.

dilomo
April 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Can you explain in what way a simple "how old are you" poll is going to help you in making GNOME 3.0 better?

This is only the first question my friend and it tries to determine how old are the users of Gnome today so that people at gnome to know who to design for primarily or just to inform themselves of their current success/failure in designing for a particular group.

Anxious Nut
April 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I'm 17

My brother (has an account here): 22
other: brother 20
other brother: 15
oops forgot my father: 48

my little brother will have his 1st computer in this summer and he's 10

look what a happy family, most are using linux, BUT SOME ARE Traitors

Bölvağur
April 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
you do know the only useful data you can provide is from a field trip interviewing target users that are new to Gnome.

CP1256
April 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I'm 15, using Ubuntu Linux for about a year now.

I think Gnome is good as it is now.

RazVayne
April 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM
18.Been using Ubuntu(Unix systems in general)for 3 weeks.I have seen the other versions(K,X)and none appeals to me more than Gnome.KDE reminds me to much of Windows and XFCE seems too simple.(though that simplicity is its strongest point)

samjh
April 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Even if users do not notice these problems consciously they have a strange feeling when working with KDE. They become unsure of what will happen when they perform certain actions. KDE makes users feel unsure. Most users I know who tried KDE went either back to GNOME or MS Windows, because they always had a subtle feeling of dislike for the interface.

<Snip>

Nice try at spam! Read the Code of Conduct. No advertising is allowed!

As for "strange feeling" about KDE. It's called incompetence. Users who are not competent at using a product will always feel insecure about it, whether it be KDE, Gnome, Windows, Mac, cars, washing machines, microwaves, or whatever else. On the flip side, I know of users who get frustrated by Gnome's lack of apparent functionality and switch to KDE. You're painting a very broad and inaccurate brush about KDE's usability, and I say that even as a Gnome user!

4th guy
April 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Nice try at spam! Read the Code of Conduct. No advertising is allowed!

As for "strange feeling" about KDE. It's called incompetence. Users who are not competent at using a product will always feel insecure about it, whether it be KDE, Gnome, Windows, Mac, cars, washing machines, microwaves, or whatever else. On the flip side, I know of users who get frustrated by Gnome's lack of apparent functionality and switch to KDE. You're painting a very broad and inaccurate brush about KDE's usability, and I say that even as a Gnome user!

Nice quoting spam :P

I'm 19, and GNOME is the only desktop environment I use. I tried KDE but I didn't like it, maybe someday I'll check it again.

Sef
April 17th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Locked. The OP (dilomo) implies they are working for GNOME; however, there are some questions.

<snip>

Update: Received a link to this message (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2009-April/msg00027.html):

I'm starting to make sociological research over UbuntuForums in order to get more data what is the userbase and what it requires as I have mentioned in this document:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/14221984/Shell-Brainstorm

For the fist survey you may vote here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7088189#post7088189

Next time please just notify of the administrators, so we can be aware of what is going on. Thank you.

P.S.
After a month I will summarize the results and post them here.

cmay
April 17th, 2009, 02:16 PM
i really should not tell any one this. but i am 34 years old. i am getting too old i think.:)

i am however a gnome user and i love gnome very much so i guess its alright to let others in on my otherwise dark secret. :)

smartboyathome
April 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
16 here. I use Linux almost exclusively (though it can be a pain sometimes, but I enjoy it).

Joeb454
April 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM
16 here.

Seriously?! I thought you were older...

Anyway, 20 over here :)

GeneralZod
April 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Seriously?! I thought you were older...

Seems like he lives up to his username :)

calvinps
April 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
14 and proud to use Ubuntu :D

GNOME is my favourite desktop environment. I also like Xfce a little, but KDE is very tacky.

days_of_ruin
April 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM
16 here. I use Linux almost exclusively (though it can be a pain sometimes, but I enjoy it).

Riiiiight. I heard rumors you are a 50 year old beer bellied man.
:lolflag:

Mulenmar
April 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
As of the 13th, I'm 19.

I started with GNOME, flirted with Xfce and KDE 3.5, briefly tried (and hated) KDE 4.0, and then explored various window managers.

At this point, I've come back around to GNOME again, while exploring some KDE 4.2 (much improved). Most of the dislikes I have with GNOME lie with GTK+ itself rather than the DE. Update GTK+, and create an integrated GTK+ theme creator, even if it's just a wizard. GIMP gets tedious!