PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot XP/Ubuntu

l33tissw00t
April 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hey guys! OK, here's the Q: Laptop already has XP installed, and I want to db it with Ubuntu (Intrepid, 8.10). All the guides online are for the GUI installation.. and I got the alternate/text-based installation (for absolutely no reason whatsoever.. dont ask). Has anyone here ever done it with this version? [If yes, please explain the steps taken for partitioning and editing MBR {if necessary}. Also, please don't post any links until verified it has to do with this question, because i've already read about 6 guides :)]

Also, I was wondering.. all the guides that say to partition HD, can I do that with fdisk, and then have linux just edit the partition? (keeping in mind that I'm completely new to linux)

Thanks in advance,
Dan

konqueror7
April 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
here's (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p3.htm) a guide on dual-booting XP and Ubuntu with a text-based installer of ubuntu, but all in all, its pretty much the same to the GUI-based installer...

also, XP is already installed, so there won't be a need to edit the MBR...just install ubuntu, and your good to go...

l33tissw00t
April 17th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thank you very much for the quick response!! Gonna go try it now.. :)

l33tissw00t
April 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Sorry for double post.. just wanted to say - I'm making this post running ubuntu! :) Thank you!