PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth: Oracle a Litmus test for Linux, Ubuntu

sulekha
April 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Hi all,

see this http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/04/shuttleworth-oracle-a-litmus-t.html

TheIdiotThatIsMe
April 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM
In a way I guess it kind of makes sense; as it says in the article, Ubuntu is the defacto player in Desktop Linux, but is still the relative new kid on the block in servers, well behind Red Hat and Novell. And it takes a lot more than "give us a try" to convince servers. So in a way it makes sense to aim for the non-mission critical and smaller / repetitive duties to help grow the Ubuntu brand, and then move up to the more important stacks.

Having said that, I do think Ubuntu should start pushing for as many quality certifications as possible for the next LTS, and make a huge server push in the next LTS (emphasizing stability, security, integration, and certification).

I think Canonical would become a much more dominant player if it stayed the unofficial head of Desktop Linux while increasing in the server playing field, and could use that to push Ubuntu as a more serious competitor against operating systems other than other Linux's and Unix.