PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about making the switch

crownedzero
April 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I've been an avid PC user for a long time now and I've recently started looking into MS alternatives. I know enough to install and get moving on a Linux distro. I'm currently stuck with the question I'm sure everyone has had at some point "Which distro is for me?". I'm hoping to find a relatively easy transition from Windows.

I'm your typical user. I spend a good bit of time browsing, checking email, and just generally screwing around. I'm also kind of an avid media collector from dvds to music etc. I'm a gamer, though not as big as I once was, and I would like to have the option to play my WoW from time to time. Also, at some point in time I'd like to start getting more from my machine than just entertainment and have web services etc. . .

Of the distros I am familiar with I'm considering Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora. I also had Slackware installed on a PC about 10 years ago for a couple months. So the question is would Ubuntu be my best bet as far as use and ease of transition? I don't ever expect to be a guru but I'd also like to possibly use a distro that will get me started down a path to knowing a little more.

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I've been an avid PC user for a long time now and I've recently started looking into MS alternatives. I know enough to install and get moving on a Linux distro. I'm currently stuck with the question I'm sure everyone has had at some point "Which distro is for me?". I'm hoping to find a relatively easy transition from Windows.

I'm your typical user. I spend a good bit of time browsing, checking email, and just generally screwing around. I'm also kind of an avid media collector from dvds to music etc. I'm a gamer, though not as big as I once was, and I would like to have the option to play my WoW from time to time. Also, at some point in time I'd like to start getting more from my machine than just entertainment and have web services etc. . .

Of the distros I am familiar with I'm considering Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora. I also had Slackware installed on a PC about 10 years ago for a couple months. So the question is would Ubuntu be my best bet as far as use and ease of transition? I don't ever expect to be a guru but I'd also like to possibly use a distro that will get me started down a path to knowing a little more.

For ease of use, I'd have to recommend Linux Mint. Ubuntu otherwise. Be sure to install WINE, this lets you run some games and applications that are meant for Windows. (I'm pretty sure that includes W.O.W.)

Linux mint comes with Codecs (which means DVD and music playing) as well as normal things such as Java and Flash. It is worth noting that Ubuntu can do these things as well, however in my experience it can be a pain to set up.

It's a matter of preference though.

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 03:10 AM
it can be a pain to set up.

Yeah that

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

is a freakin' nightmare. After spending 5 seconds doing that, I was so tired I slept for three days strait.

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Yeah that

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

is a freakin' nightmare. After spending 5 seconds doing that, I was so tired I slept for three days strait.

Thank you, I'm not an idiot. =) That package is obvious to anyone that's spent two minutes on Ubuntu, it's really not required for someone to sarcastically point it out for me.

I was saying that it rarely ever works for me, but it has always worked on Mint.

wsonar
April 17th, 2009, 03:26 AM
I never had a problem on 8 with java or flash or codecs it has prompted and got them and installed them.
may have to have multiverse enabled in the software sources

with previous versions I had to manually install them because the automatic way failed

crownedzero
April 17th, 2009, 03:27 AM
So after a 20 minute install how long am I really looking at to get everything up to speed? I know that while a lot of goods are preinstalled don't I have to get out and grab some other items and updates?

Mint is just another flavor of Ubuntu? Still the same support etc. or are we talking a whole different distro?

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
So after a 20 minute install how long am I really looking at to get everything up to speed? I know that while a lot of goods are preinstalled don't I have to get out and grab some other items and updates?

Mint is just another flavor of Ubuntu? Still the same support etc. or are we talking a whole different distro?

Just ask any support questions with Mint like it was for Ubuntu: they are practically the same.

It depends what you want: for what you described it looks like Mint had practically everything except for WINE preinstalled. I do not know though.

SunnyRabbiera
April 17th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Dualboot, Ubuntu for primary functions and windows for gaming

chucky chuckaluck
April 17th, 2009, 03:32 AM
for what you want to do, just about any distro would suit you. there may be some other considerations you haven't mentioned, or even thought of, that might be more of a determinant. try this little survey - http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php?select_lang=true