PDA

View Full Version : College and laptop

Supersquirrel
April 17th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Hello
I am going to college in September. I need a laptop. Is linux usually allowed in college?

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Hello
I am going to college in September. I need a laptop. Is linux usually allowed in college?

I can't get on my wireless network at school with Linux.

damis648
April 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Usually, I would say. If they don't support it for certain classes though, that could be a problem. I recommend have Windows installed in a VM or to dual boot.

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Usually, I would say. If they don't support it for certain classes though, that could be a problem. I recommend have Windows installed in a VM or to dual boot.

That's another thing. I had to use a program called TAIT that wouldn't run in Wine, so for me Linux, and college don't get along.

Kareeser
April 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM
Depends what major you're in... and like swoll said, some networks don't allow non-windows/mac computers to connect. Best bet is to call the school and ask :)

ddrichardson
April 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Apparently, Macs are popular - clicky (http://media.photobucket.com/image/college%20macbook/onthepage/various/glowing_apples_mic.jpg?o=1).

Supersquirrel
April 17th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Well the college course has
Intro. to Operating Systems with Linux

So maybe linux will work on the wifi.

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Well the college course has
Intro. to Operating Systems with Linux

So maybe linux will work on the wifi.

My course has Linux classes too, but god forbid they let a Linux machine use the wireless.

Polygon
April 17th, 2009, 03:04 AM
in most colleges, they won't care which OS is using their internet. the only places you will run into trouble is if you have classes that use windows only software.

although with macs on the rise usually its all web based stuff that any OS can use.

Apparently, Macs are popular - clicky (http://media.photobucket.com/image/college%20macbook/onthepage/various/glowing_apples_mic.jpg?o=1).

LOL, there is an officially licensed apple store on my college campus and there are not that many macs on campus. There are a lot, but not the entire 200+ student lecture hall :O

Supersquirrel
April 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM
what college?
If it comes down that they only allow windows or mac for the wifi than i will run ubuntu in VM. If linux is allowed than i will run windows in a VM.

damis648
April 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Notice the single guy on the left with an acer.

ubuntu27
April 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I don't have any trouble with wireless where I study.

Polygon
April 17th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Notice the single guy on the left with an acer.

it looks like an HP, cause the logo is in the weird place on the bottom right, unless we are looking at different people

but the photo is so small, its hard to tell whether people are using different laptops, or macbooks with rubber covers that cover the apple logo

mikewhatever
April 17th, 2009, 03:18 AM
I can't get on my wireless network at school with Linux.

What do you mean? Do you own the school's wireless network? It's rather unfortunate that you can't connect, if that's the case.

Pinoy915
April 17th, 2009, 03:22 AM
No problems connecting with wireless here at my school. Electrical and Computer Engineers use Linux here (CentOS). I do have virtualbox for Windows engineering programs like Proteus(runs in WINE but some bugs) and Multisim.

jwkolberg
April 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I have been fine using Ubuntu in college, the most common thing I have to deal with is saving my papers in .doc form if I have to turn it in by email to the professor. Occasionally, I'll have a class that uses online discussions or quizzes that are created by a textbook company, these types of things pretty much always require you to install a program that is for windows only, not allowing linux or mac. With how many computers my school has though, it has never been a problem to go in and get my work done at school.

Marlonsm
April 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Next year when I go to college I might have a laptop with either a dual boot(Linux+Windows) or only Linux but with Windows in a VM, so I can see how Linux is accepted there.
But I think there is a good chance Linux will be usable there, as they even host a server for Ubuntu updates there.

The difference for me is that Macs aren't popular here in Brazil, as they are extremely expensive (even more than in other countries). The cheapest Apple laptop here is the last-gen Macbook for about $2000 US dollars, and goes up to $5000 US dollars for an current-gen Air. While you can get a decent laptop for about $800 US dollars or less.

mamamia88
April 18th, 2009, 12:19 AM
if i where you i'd keep windows in a dualboot just in case i've had classes that need a program that only ran on osx or windows and you never know if the college network will work but it should be fine as long as you manually download the certificate online

smartboyathome
April 18th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Well, at my college they use something that looks like Chillispot for their wireless security. It works with Linux, so there are no problems as far as that goes. Only problem would be software, but there are so many computers on campus you'd be hard pressed not to find one that suited your needs (well, unless you're a graphic design student that needs a mac :P).

init1
April 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
You will probably be able to use Linux, although I'd have Windows installed in case your courses require special software.

ad_267
April 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
If you have to use windows only software you can use the university's computers.

shadylookin
April 18th, 2009, 12:51 AM
You're allowed to use linux. The real question is does your college support it and are your professors required to use cross platform compatible software. My guess is while you'll probably be able to use most services somewhere along the way one of your profs is going to require you to use a windows only program.

Since I'm in computer science and most of my professors despise Microsoft it's not typically a problem for me.

Cybie257
April 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM
My course has Linux classes too, but god forbid they let a Linux machine use the wireless.

How does your school WIFI system work? The college I go to has you log in via your browser. A WIFI connecting to the system in not dependant on your OS, so how is the system determining that you are using Linux?

Just curious. Never heard that before. hmm. I'd demand a change. :-)

-Cybie

Supersquirrel
April 26th, 2009, 10:10 PM
The college that i am going to has a linux course so i assume linux will work on wifi. The problem is the residence is at a wyac.

hanzomon4
April 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I've never had problems getting on a wifi network... maybe some problems on my end but that's all

SomeGuyDude
April 26th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Depends on your school and how they do the network setup.

Pitt was pretty simple, just pick WPA enterprise in network-manager (I forget which option in wicd), PEAP type, throw in your login credentials, you're in. It was actually easier to do than in Windows.

Now, the HARDWIRE network was a PITA. The only way was to create a script of some kind (a friend and fellow Arch-user did it for me) and set the machine to run it on boot, only I had to disable it whenever I wanted to use the wifi which meant a lot of rebooting when coming and going. Even that was only necessary for the last semester when my room didn't have WiFi, and even THAT was just because I used wicd instead of gnome-network-manager.

Long story short, it might be tricky, but should be totally doable.