PDA

View Full Version : Hi I am new to ubuntoforums and linux

UNME
January 5th, 2006, 08:27 AM
HI ,

HAPPY NeW yEar to all of you,

I am UNME new to this community which I found while searching answer
to my problems(vil talk bit later).
I am engineering student from reputed college in India(i wonder why it is so famous -----y i used to spend so many hours just to b here)

Recently our college shifted from window OS to Linux OS they say it is more
beneficial to students -------till now I was having a feel they were just giving excuse as they cannot pay for proprietry soft-wares

but when i went thru this site I am seeing many happy users
Hey Is Linux really great..?

Next day I went to cannaught place (centre point of our capital Delhi)
and bought few linux books and learntto install RED HAT 9.0-its easy graphicaly

But now my prob starts :
*I have DSL 502T router works nicely with windowsXP(i have drivers)
but not with linux(I could'nt find drivers)--how to connect to inter
net

* what are great sources to learn linux

*How easy was it to find window applications now '.exe' donot go with linux

I know a bit of networking on linux dns,dnhcp....................
I know wine runs .exe but where can I find good software written for linux
I feel to work on system one must have net accesss from it help me to connect to net.(I poked into some thread talking on dsl502t linux??????every
thing went above my head)

PLease Do Respond a
New person knocking a door of linux and this community would'nt u help

UnME--you and me

alamba
January 5th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Welcome to this part of the OS world!! Good to know that you were able to get redhat up and running. What does this have to do with ubuntu though? Here's a tip that might help you:

Search for Delhi LUG on google and join their mailing list. Just yesterday I read a thread on this specific router model. I believe the answer lies in using the ethernet interface rather than the USB interface.

You might also be able to locate someone locally to hand hold you.

Akshay

UNME
January 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Glad to Know :KS someone hears hey talking of 'LINUX USER GROUP'
DOnt mind if you belong to this group but I have tried this too...
No use They keep on directing to links which turns out to b advertisments

Akshay hey U seems to b from delhi how u landed here "Delhites love redhat"
:smile:

alamba
January 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Try saying that in the LUG mailing list...everyone has their own favourite flavour of linux. Personally I prefer ubuntu now after spending the last 6 years on redhat/fedora.

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Welcome indeed!
Don't worry too much about your problems. There are many other suitable software packages waiting for you to be discovered. At the moment I totally don't use WINE to emule .exe applications. Everything I need for normal desktop use, webdevelopment and server (apps) is available.

I hope you'll be enjoying Linux, Ubuntu and the whole idea/technology behind it as we all do :)

UNME
January 5th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hey SIX SIX SIX years its a big time I got hold of redhat 5.0
I felt flat formatted system many times kicked cpu and after long haul
it got installed just to be removed from system very next day

Hey do u net from linux help me I am zero on linux how to start
and run net on linux

last ques U have 67 post i have zero how to post here control panel donot show place for new post 'it show' but i want to say hi to allthe communty
it allows only 5

UNME
January 5th, 2006, 09:08 AM
derek thanx for reply but first tell how to get internet over linu
I have d-link router dsl-502T and connection via usb I have not installed
Lan Card

alamba
January 5th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I'm don't think there are any drivers for that router buddy, atleast that support the USB connection.

Akshay

Derek Djons
January 5th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Lan Card

Unfortunatelly I have to confirm Alamba's reply. I did some scooping around and there is nothing going on for this device. Unfortunatelly the world-wide support for USB modem / routers is slowly deceasing. All modems / routers being made these days are all Ethernet.

If possible I would suggest you contact your ISP and ask him for any possibilities swapping your USB 502T for a Eth. version. You'll need a Eth. card but that won't be a big problem I think. Here in Europe the same thing is going on. ISP's are swapping old USB modems for ethernet versions.

eMuNiX
January 5th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Lan CardIgnore the USB interface, fit a LAN card and then use the ethernet interface of the router. There should be little or no configuring to be done. I have a conexant based Origo router with USB and ethernet, all versions of Linux that I have tried always find the ethernet connection without any intervention from me. A little care may need to be taken to make sure that the LAN card that you pick is supported without the need for drivers or you will have some small problems.

UNME
January 5th, 2006, 02:56 PM
thanks for your support
'swapping may be a possibility'
but hey all of you be in touch I am still finding a solution do you guys have some probs

:KS smile as I always do