PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Customize Desktop

Tanner2007
April 17th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Again, I am new so please help me out

1)how to change theme
2)how to change login screen
3)how to change cursor (now this I keep looking up for an hour and can;t figure it out

riza hylviu
April 17th, 2009, 12:35 AM
for the themes - system/preferences/appearance and there you can find already installed themes. for more you can check gnome-look website
every theme i think has a custom cursor

UbuntuNerd
April 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Again, I am new so please help me out

1)how to change theme
3)how to change cursor (now this I keep looking up for an hour and can;t figure it out

right click on an empty space of your desktop scroll to the bottom and click on (Change Desktop Background) that's it you should see the themes
if you want to install new themes in the same menu make sure you have (Theme) selected.
and just go to this link: http://www.gnome-look.org/ and download the themes to your desktop and drag the theme to the appearance Preference box to install it.
also look at this guide (http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/make-ubuntu-look-like-windows-vista)

crossedout
April 17th, 2009, 05:05 AM
1)how to change theme
Navigate to System->Preferences->Appearence

Navigate to System->Administration->Login Window

Use Synaptic to search for gcursers. That should do it for you.

-Xout

sharon.gmc
April 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
This is my problem too. Thank you for answering. :D

kerry_s
April 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
3)how to change cursor (now this I keep looking up for an hour and can't figure it out

the setting is hidden in appearance, under the theme tab click customize.

Tanner2007
April 17th, 2009, 07:22 PM
for the themes - system/preferences/appearance and there you can find already installed themes. for more you can check gnome-look website
every theme i think has a custom cursor

Thank you

right click on an empty space of your desktop scroll to the bottom and click on (Change Desktop Background) that's it you should see the themes
if you want to install new themes in the same menu make sure you have (Theme) selected.
and just go to this link: http://www.gnome-look.org/ and download the themes to your desktop and drag the theme to the appearance Preference box to install it.
also look at this guide (http://my.opera.com/ubuntunerd1/blog/make-ubuntu-look-like-windows-vista)

So wait download new themes, and drag them into the box or can I click on install or what ever the butten it? this post was mainly about adding new ones from online , i should have made it more clear

Navigate to System->Preferences->Appearence

Navigate to System->Administration->Login Window

Use Synaptic to search for gcursers. That should do it for you.

-Xout

I did that..searched for gcursors and got folder full of files that I clicked on and got errors (forgot what there were but Nothing worked)

the setting is hidden in appearance, under the theme tab click customize.

Does not show up on mine I want to dd new ones from online

So as you guys can see thanks for telling me where to get them but I need more details on how to INSTALL themes, logins I downloaded

the cursors I still cant figure out, rather it dont show up on my screen or that gsurors thing does nothing but give me error

UbuntuNerd
April 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
yes just drag the themes to the box they will install or you can always click install an browse for the theme. I always drag it is simple and quick.

kerry_s
April 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Does not show up on mine I want to dd new ones from online

hmm, well i am using debian, i guess ubuntu cut that part out then.
those screen shots was a fresh install, only hours old when i posted.
i did a base install + gnome-core and i'm building up from there, trying to cut out some of the new gnome bloat. ;)