PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty upgrade or fresh install?

jesse c
April 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Im the kind that wont leave well enough alone so im dying to try Jaunty but i remember what a hassle i had when i changed from Gutsy to Hardy and then again to Intrepid as far as getting nvidia card and X working.Can i expect the same this round or are fixes built in now?Also in the past i ended up buying live cd and doing fresh installs of each upgrade but i wonder if synaptic update will solve those issues but then i hear i wont update to ext4(?),but im really just a web surfer kind of guy and not a heavy work user.Any input?

riza hylviu
April 17th, 2009, 12:23 AM
i have read some threads and the most of te most experienced guys says that a fresh install is better couse the upgrade can mess your pc... i will make a fresh install with the brand new ext4

Quintilian
April 17th, 2009, 12:26 AM
i only had minor difficulties with the nvidia driver (by difficulty i just mean i had to go to System>administration>hardware drivers and install the nvidia driver and reboot), but that was really the only thing. everything else seems to be really solid, for me anyway.
i did have an issue with the adobe flash plugin however. when i did the upgrade the new flash didnt take over and the old one didnt work, so i had to 'manually' uninstall and reinstall the new flash version, but it wasn't terribly too bad, a quick search on the forum will help out with that. but they might have that fixed by now, i grabbed it while it was still in alpha, so it'll probably be a non-issue by now, sorry i dont know for sure. hope that helps

sadicote
April 17th, 2009, 12:30 AM
If you want to take advantage of Ext4 without many hassles, fresh install; but if you are adept at the command line and stuff like that..well, you can do just about anything!