PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Installation greatly increases the screen resolution

Szymczuk
April 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hi anyone,

I've installed Ubuntu 8.10 (using the latest DVD ISO) onto my Toshiba laptop quickly easily and am very impressed with this O/S. My problem stems from trying to install the same Kubuntu onto my desktop workstation (previously with a tired copy of WinXP on it) I used my existing monitor during the first install and just like my laptop installation, went as smooth as expected. I then replaced my tired old monitor wirth a 32 inch Pioneer HD 1080i ready LCD TV with an RGB input. When I rebooted the new O/S and went to the RGB source on my TV, it showed nothing (even though I could hear Ubuntu booting up) I then attempted a second (clean) install, this time with the TV attached, the install, started as per normal, but halfway thru when I reached the first of the install dialogues, the display was greatly zoomed in, the first few letters of the dialogue were so large, they filled the screen! It was impossible to continue, as the screen appears to be greatly enlarged, is their a syntax that will set the resolution to an acceptable level at the install stage? I'm stumped. All help greatly appreciated.

cariboo
April 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I would suggest you use the alternate install cd, available here (http:///releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/), it uses a text installer and the graphics don't start up until after a reboot.

Jim

Szymczuk
April 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Many thanks Jim, I'll give it a try.