PDA

View Full Version : Wikis are Dangerous

GuiGuy
April 16th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Our home entertainment system has been happily and robustly running on MythBuntu for well over a year. The only thing it doesn't do is shutdown after a prolonged idle and automatically restart if its scheduled to record. I'd played with Mythwelcome some time ago, but I couldn't work it out at the time.

So, feeling much more confident about forages into Linux these days, I tried again.

Printed the wiki out. Read the forums. Prepared.

Followed the instructions. Tested. Rebooted (Incidentally, even on awful vista, you can set auto shutdown/ autorestart with a few clicks of the mouse)

Checked everything again.

24 hours later, finally, ready for the big test. Reboot.

Nada. Nothing. Zilch. PC (backend) seems to boot, but no screen. Doesn't light up.

Restore backup image.

I realise wikis are neat, especially as someone else can second guess what the (lazy) developer might have intended and write the documentation for them. But, beware. DOn't believe everything you read ;)

BTW, I'm not looking for help on Mythwelcome. I'd be more interested to discuss the nature of wikis. For example, are they any better than M$ Help? ;)

Cheers

NB: The gods should be thanked for Acronis Trueimage.

cariboo
April 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
You obviously haven't spent to much time search MS's Kowledge Base. It has gotten a lot better over the last few years. Back when XP first came out it was just horrible trying to find a soultion to a problem.

Jim

GuiGuy
April 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
You obviously haven't spent to much time search MS's Kowledge Base. It has gotten a lot better over the last few years. Back when XP first came out it was just horrible trying to find a soultion to a problem.

Yes, I know. It was tongue in cheek. I was thinking about that old MS Help joke when I wrote that. You know the one, "MS help tells you everything you already know and not what you need to know". :D

Cheers