PDA

View Full Version : Virus aquarium

4th guy
April 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I've (re)seen this XKCD comic today, http://xkcd.com/350/
Are there any nerds that are interested in building this? I would like to try it out :D

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Saw it many, many times. While it might be an interesting experimant if you had the time, all it would end up with is a few (almost) completely non-funcitional computers.

4th guy
April 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Saw it many, many times. While it might be an interesting experimant if you had the time, all it would end up with is a few (almost) completely non-funcitional computers.
Yeah, I realized that nothing visual would actually happen.

Methuselah
April 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
lol, I might try.
I suppose a virtual box installation will work.

I once was interested in what would happen if I left a completely unprotected windows machine open to the internet for a while.
I've never really had viruses in all the time I used windows so I'm not sure what it takes.

Simian Man
April 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
The hard part would be making them download and run crap automatically in a realistic way.

Thelasko
April 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM
The hard part would be making them download and run crap automatically in a realistic way.

Well, in theory, you would only have to set it up once. After that, you just save that setup image and run copies of it.

Lets face it, they will all eventually bluescreen and you would have to restore them from that original image.

As said previously, the biggest challenge is visualization.

4th guy
April 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Well, in theory, you would only have to set it up once. After that, you just save that setup image and run copies of it.

Lets face it, they will all eventually bluescreen and you would have to restore them from that original image.

How many copies of Win XP can be run alongside each other at one go? haha

Thelasko
April 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Visualization ideas:
TNV (http://tnv.sourceforge.net/)

Thelasko
April 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
How many copies of Win XP can be run alongside each other at one go? haha

I was actually thinking about running Windows 98 or Me because they have lower overhead.

P.S. I found an article on trimming down XP (http://lifehacker.com/374376/trim-down-windows-to-the-bare-essentials).

hatten
April 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM

i would install linux instead of restoring them!

arashiko28
April 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
lol, I might try.
I suppose a virtual box installation will work.

I once was interested in what would happen if I left a completely unprotected windows machine open to the internet for a while.
I've never really had viruses in all the time I used windows so I'm not sure what it takes.

Once you do that, you must connect to your msn account and you'll see the virus fly free into it. No? How many stupid messages you get a day from friends that are disconnected and tells you about a picture whose web address ends in .exe?

Other idea is to get into a page for crack and serials, you'll get a blue screen in about 30 mins (I'm being nice to window$) :P

unoodles
April 16th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I think it would be a lot easier than people are saying.
Just get a copy of Windows XP Service Pack 1 with no updates.

Then run a honeypot program on a linux machine to pick up some malware. (Two packages in the repo that would work are nepenthes, and labrea).
Maybe grab some malware from OffensiveComputing.net, and start infecting the machines.

4th guy
April 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I think it would be a lot easier than people are saying.
Just get a copy of Windows XP Service Pack 1 with no updates.

Then run a honeypot program on a linux machine to pick up some malware. (Two packages in the repo that would work are nepenthes, and labrea).
Maybe grab some malware from OffensiveComputing.net, and start infecting the machines.
There's vanilla XP (SP0) as well.

Thelasko
April 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
i would install linux instead of restoring them!

...and have also completely missed the point of this exercise.

hatten
April 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
after having them all broke down with viruses and getting bored of windows, ofcourse

00Davo
April 27th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I realized that nothing visual would actually happen.

That's why you need to find some anti-virus program that detects viruses, but doesn't remove viruses. Set up another program to collect the data from all the AV, then convert it to graphs and stuff.

The other problem is managing to run twelve WinDOS virtual machines simultaneously. You'd need a streamlined WinDOS that pretty much just shares viruses - VirOS?

Thelasko
April 27th, 2009, 04:33 PM
That's why you need to find some anti-virus program that detects viruses, but doesn't remove viruses.

Speaking from personal experience, Avast! does a great job of that. I once had a machine that was infected with a virus, and Avast! managed to scan every since piece of spam it sent out. Every once in a while it told me it found a virus, but never removed it.

insane_alien
April 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
you could maybe mount the drive on linux and scan it with ClamAV? that can be done over the network can't it?