PDA

View Full Version : Do you play games in Ubuntu?

ugriffin
April 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I play supertux, and I'm still trying to get WoW to run from my Windows partition.

steeleyuk
April 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Tali and Iagno :)

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I play a few games, hopefully more in the future.

As I only use Linux I do not have much choice. :)

Frozen-Bubble: Infinite Fun, pop the bubbles game.

Urban-Terror: Addictive, and hopefully will improve in the future. It is a FPS with modern weapons, and it runs insanely fast on 64-bit Linux.

Battle For Wesnoth: A strategy game, really well done, and excellent music.

Supertux: Of course.

There are others, however those are the ones I play. As for Wine, I play a few old games such as Arcanum, Morrowind, and Starcraft. I hope to gain enough attention to get a open source game similar to Arcanum started.

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I play poker using Wine (pokerstars) or flash based, if that counts.

befana
April 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Tali

Pasdar
April 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm not really a gamer, bu if I play games I like to play RTS. Unfortunately there are not that many RTS games for linux and those that do exist are not good enough (the ones that I have played). However, sometimes I play wesnoth (turn based strategy). :)

Z0014ND3l2
April 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I play World of Warcraft through WINE

conehead77
April 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Civilization 4 (BtS) with WINE

Tibuda
April 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm not much into gaming. These are what I play:

Gnome card games;
Spring: 1944 (http://s44.koshi.homelinux.net): a World War II RTS game using the cross-platform Spring engine (http://spring.clan-sy.com);
Urban-terror (http://www.urbanterror.net): cross-platform FPS game (looks like Counter-strike);
Online chess at FICS, using pyChess (http://pychess.googlepages.com) client

I'm yet to find a good native soccer game, but I'm happy right now.

Ms_Angel_D
April 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Both my husband and I play Guild Wars in Wine, I have set up and ran the WOW trial in wine, but I didn't much care for the game.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Usually only SameGnome.

chriskin
April 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I play a few games, hopefully more in the future.

As I only use Linux I do not have much choice. :)

Frozen-Bubble: Infinite Fun, pop the bubbles game.

Urban-Terror: Addictive, and hopefully will improve in the future. It is a FPS with modern weapons, and it runs insanely fast on 64-bit Linux.

Battle For Wesnoth: A strategy game, really well done, and excellent music.

Supertux: Of course.

There are others, however those are the ones I play. As for Wine, I play a few old games such as Arcanum, Morrowind, and Starcraft. I hope to gain enough attention to get a open source game similar to Arcanum started.

what's your name on urban terror? i play too

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I do play games occasionally.

Urban Terror
Nexuiz
Teeworlds
Xmoto
SuperTux

Mulenmar
April 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Endgame: Singularity
Alien Arena
Transcendence via WINE (a Linux version's in the works -- might even be done)
the GNOME games

WalmartSniperLX
April 16th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I used to be a diehard Urban Terror and Anarchy Online (via wine and cedega) gamer back when I had my good 'ol '*Nix Gaming Rig'. I eventually sold it to a friend and had to install windows for him (first time windows ever touched that pc).

On my current laptop, UrbanTerror has some horrible graphics glitches. Oh well.. good ol ati IGP chipset for ya.
Now I occasionally play:

-OpenArena
-Tremulous
-Nexuiz
-Pokerstars

Bölvaður
April 16th, 2009, 09:45 PM
lets face it, there are endless possibilities of good native fun.

Im getting surprised over and over again with programs and games I wasn't expecting to exist.

I began to record and upload short clips of games I got installed. My goal is to upload atleast 1 game per day... so far the average is 2.5 (but only done it for 2 days)

http://www.youtube.com/user/gummi666

chriskin
April 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
lets face it, there are endless possibilities of good native fun.

Im getting surprised over and over again with programs and games I wasn't expecting to exist.

I began to record and upload short clips of games I got installed. My goal is to upload atleast 1 game per day... so far the average is 2.5 (but only done it for 2 days)

http://www.youtube.com/user/gummi666

ok endless might be a little of an overstatement, but there are some worthy games out there, not like some years ago that wine/cedega/crossover was a must (and not fully working as well :P)

Garudi
April 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I find it quite facinating to try and get games working in Linux.
The ones i've successfully done so far:

wine:
World of Warcraft
Eve Online
Starcraft
Anarchy online
World of Goo
Portal
Half-life 2

Normal;
Open arena
Nexuiz
Frozen bubble

Emulated:
N64 and all the related games
Snes
Amiga

And lots more i can't think of right now.

<-- bit of a game nut

chriskin
April 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I find it quite facinating to try and get games working in Linux.
The ones i've successfully done so far:

wine:
World of Warcraft
Eve Online
Starcraft
Anarchy online
World of Goo
Portal
Half-life 2

Normal;
Open arena
Nexuiz
Frozen bubble

Emulated:
Snes
Amiga

And lots more i can't think of right now.

<-- bit of a game nut

world of goo has a linux version as well

Tibuda
April 16th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Emulated:
Snes
Amiga
I forgot about it... My SNES games are all ****ed, but I'll try to play them on Ubuntu.

zenithdave
April 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Nexuiz, plays like turbo on native Linux :D

eta: i installed it on a friends Vista laptop also very smooth and fast.

balbecdaze
April 16th, 2009, 10:12 PM
No shouts for Oolite?
Amazing version of Elite with hundreds of sympathetic Add-ons, relive those lost teenage months.

(if you lost teenage months playing elite that is)

Pasdar
April 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I do play games occasionally.

Urban Terror
Nexuiz
Teeworlds
Xmoto
SuperTux

Even though I don't like shooters I just gave Teeworlds a try and its really cool...a fun game that you don't have to be a shooter fan to like...

CharmyBee
April 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
xjump

it's the first game i install from repositories.

sdljump freezes though so xjump i'll have to stick with.

Kosimo
April 16th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Sure I do:

Native games:
Quake 3, Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake Wars, Prey

Under Wine:
Starcraft, Warcraft III ROC.

sekinto
April 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I play a bunch of Source games (I play Team Fortress 2 the most), Urban Terror (quite amazing for a free FPS), SuperTux 2 (The origional SuperTux was less than okay, but SuperTux 2 is amazing even though it is in development and glitchy) (play it with my WiiMote), Frets on Fire (play it with Wii GH3 Guitar) and an indie game called Jumpman (http://runhello.com/) (play it with WiiMote).

wingnux
April 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
My pc is mainly for playing games so I play A LOT in Ubuntu! =)

Stan_1936
April 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
No, I don't play games in Ubuntu.

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 01:11 AM
War§ow and OpenArena.

techturkey
April 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I play Enemy Territory: Quake Wars sometimes, it runs natively in linux.

inobe
April 17th, 2009, 01:32 AM
i play enemy territory: Quake wars sometimes, it runs natively in linux.

etqw

techturkey
April 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
World of Goo is awesome :P

.Maleficus.
April 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Even though I built my computer as a "gaming" computer, I rarely ever play games on it, Linux or Windows. I use my 360 for that. I always think "Oh man, look at the graphics on 'Crysis/Far Cry 2/Fallout 3/et al' I NEED that" but never actually play them. So, the machine in my sig is currently being used for Arch + Dwm, totalling in at a whopping 360MB RAM usage on heavy load (7 FF tabs, ncmpcpp, rtorrent, htop, random others).

Kind of a waste :(.

Firestem4
April 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Savage 2 for Linux. Amazing graphics. very fun and intense game. www.savage2.com

Free to play too!

tom66
April 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yes. I play Blood Frontier, supertux, VDrift...

RandomJoe
April 17th, 2009, 02:25 AM
I've never been a huge gamer, but do enjoy some for occasional stress-relief or boredom-filler. I don't care for multi-player, though, just play them against the computer.

Unreal Tournament 2K3 / 2K4
Civilization: Call to Power
SimCity 2000
Descent 3 (think that's the one, haven't had it out in ages...)
Master of Orion (with DosEMU, long ago)
The Incredible Machine (Wine, long ago)

Probably more I'm forgetting...

I remember when I first got MoO going in DosEMU. I'd never seen such a tough gameplay before! I could have sworn the computer players' AI was at a whole different level than when it was running on DOS! :p

It's been a few years since I played any of those games. I tried installing UT recently, and it complained bitterly. Guess I need some old libraries to make it happy or something... SimCity hasn't run in an even longer time...

Oh yeah - and Super Tux Kart held me over until I was able to buy a Wii and Mario Kart! :D

Pasdar
April 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Savage 2 for Linux. Amazing graphics. very fun and intense game. www.savage2.com

Free to play too!

I checked out some videos, so intense... lol... I need to finish a paper so I'm not going to play it now... hehe

billgoldberg
April 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I'm not much into gaming. These are what I play:

Gnome card games;
Spring: 1944 (http://s44.koshi.homelinux.net): a World War II RTS game using the cross-platform Spring engine (http://spring.clan-sy.com);
Urban-terror (http://www.urbanterror.net): cross-platform FPS game (looks like Counter-strike);
Online chess at FICS, using pyChess (http://pychess.googlepages.com) client

I'm yet to find a good native soccer game, but I'm happy right now.

I play counterstrike a lot and trust me, Urban Terror and Counterstrike don't look alike, and play very differently.

It's the same concept, that's it.

jespdj
April 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I don't play a lot of games (neither on Linux nor on other operating systems). But Nexuiz (http://alientrap.org/nexuiz/) is a good game.

Tibuda
April 17th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I play counterstrike a lot and trust me, Urban Terror and Counterstrike don't look alike, and play very differently.

It's the same concept, that's it.
"Look like" is subjective. I didn't played much Counterstrike, so I think you're right.

richg
April 17th, 2009, 06:30 PM
No I do not. I have a life.

Rich

ugriffin
April 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Even if you "have a life", there has to be some moment in your life where you don't know what to do and play a game: maybe tetris, maybe something else. You don't play any games at all?

Pasdar
April 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Even if you "have a life", there has to be some moment in your life where you don't know what to do and play a game: maybe tetris, maybe something else. You don't play any games at all?

he spends his life replying to topics saying he will not reply because he has a life.

Twitch6000
April 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Through Cedega -

Starcraft(hardly play anymore)
Red Alert 2

Native Linux Games -

Urban Terror
AssualtCube (cool game I just got addicted to)
Tremulous
SuperTux
Frets On Fire (I mainly make songs work on it)
Frozen Bubble

SR_ELPIRATA
April 17th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I've done many, Urban Terror is the one I played the most. I also have Open Arena, Scorched 3D, TORCS, I did a month in EVE, and from the other games in Ubuntu.. I like a lot the 5 or more, tetravex, and sudoku.

On Wine I've tried some games with poor results. I havent tested again since Cedega worked better with some, like CMR 2.0 and Starcraft (on wine ran very slow).

ELP

Sunflower1970
April 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I play gweled, frozen bubble (I :heart: this game), Freecell, Mahjong, & Solitaire.

I have copies of Myst & Riven that I've played around with in Wine, but haven't done much with them.

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I have copies of Myst & Riven that I've played around with in Wine, but haven't done much with them.
I used to play those too, but the puzzle genre doesn't really do anything for me anymore.

racerraul
April 17th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Dofus
UT 2k4

Ocassionally play these...
TORCS
Open Arena
Nexuiz

I do feel that these games are in need of a good graphics guru... they barely push the limits of old GPU's.

ugriffin
April 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Everyone plays Urban Terror: What is it about?

P.S. I also play Civilization III through Wine.

hessiess
April 17th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Occationaly play old games, mostly tern based RPG's in an emulater.

red_Marvin
April 18th, 2009, 01:18 AM
etqw

Yes, me too.

Hyper Tails
April 18th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I play my hacks ( www.freewebs.com/yoit which is the same site in my banner) and I play Super tux and all that good stuff

Jpardue
April 18th, 2009, 04:29 AM
If you do not play games in Ubuntu then why are you posting in this thread? Christ, friggin debby downers. Anyways, World of Good has an awesome linux client and is an amazing game. Battle for Wesnoth is a superb strategy game for anyone who is a fan of the genre.

sideaway
April 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I play Counter-Strike: Source... My x1400 mobility has a hard time keeping up though. Also it crashes after about 40minutes.

WalmartSniperLX
April 18th, 2009, 07:44 AM
No I do not. I have a life.

Rich

We're talking about games in general, not just MMORPGs ;)

I can officially add Runescape to my list, and because of that, I now have no life :)

Naiki Muliaina
April 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Yes, only native and online games though.

Second Life
Dofus
Savage 2
Teeworlds

atomizer
April 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
wine:
anno 1602
Age of Empires
railroad tycoon2

native:
Glest